Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AR Shopping I Am Stuck

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by omegajb View Post
    A lot of online retailers have a FFL lookup of all the FFL's in your area that they have on file to transfer the firearm to.
    Gunbroker also has a good search tool to find on in your area.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk
    Always call the FFL as well to be sure he/she/they will accept the rifle as well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That Colt you have, it's likely the best milspec AR on the market. What you want to see is the combined MP mark on the barrel, either a cage code or C stamped on the upper receiver, and a C marked on both the carrier and the underside of the extractor, as well as the MPI marked on the bolt itself.

If those marks aren't present, then I would suggest looking for another one that has them. The word isn't out yet, so people are still selling them cheap on the used market. They're all over armslist and the local gun shows. People have no idea what they have and the fact that more won't be available, probably ever.

Mid length is nothing to write home about, either. All else being equal, it's maybe the more correct way to do a 16", but carbine vs mid is pretty much a moot point. Either one is fully acceptable if the rest of the rifle is good to go.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mdrums View Post
    I agree…2100 is too much. I had a Knights, mentioned that in my post but sold if a while ago… few years. It was nice but I wanted something that doesn’t have proprietary parts. Knights bolts lugs and chamber are proprietary.

I ended up getting the DD rifle today. It was 1649…I added a G ssa-e trigger and still was less with tax than the G they had in stock at 2249.
    Congrats on the new purchase. Between the two I think you made the right choice. Personally I hate DD furniture, but overall it’s a better rifle due to the barrel, and DD’s fit and finish.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    Congrats on the new purchase. Between the two I think you made the right choice. Personally I hate DD furniture, but overall it’s a better rifle due to the barrel, and DD’s fit and finish.
    Thanks…yes the fit finish is great on it. I love the dad rail. The stock and grip are ok in looks and can easily be swapped out in ministers. The stock and grip feel fine. Yes it was the barrel that was the deciding factor. When I looked at the Geisselle barrel with its blued (black oxide) finish I knew due to living in Florida that was going to be a pain to take care of.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    That Colt you have, it's likely the best milspec AR on the market. What you want to see is the combined MP mark on the barrel, either a cage code or C stamped on the upper receiver, and a C marked on both the carrier and the underside of the extractor, as well as the MPI marked on the bolt itself.

If those marks aren't present, then I would suggest looking for another one that has them. The word isn't out yet, so people are still selling them cheap on the used market. They're all over armslist and the local gun shows. People have no idea what they have and the fact that more won't be available, probably ever.

Mid length is nothing to write home about, either. All else being equal, it's maybe the more correct way to do a 16", but carbine vs mid is pretty much a moot point. Either one is fully acceptable if the rest of the rifle is good to go.
    Yes my Colt has all the correct markings. It’s from 2010. It shoots awesome and on,y thing I changed on it was the trigger and I went to a Daniel Defense Risi II front sight post rail and a Volt stock. I can easily put it all back to original in a hour if needed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yes my Colt has all the correct markings. It’s from 2010. It shoots awesome and on,y thing I changed on it was the trigger and I went to a Daniel Defense Risi II front sight post rail and a Volt stock. I can easily put it all back to original in a hour if needed.
    Those are solid aftermarket mods so if you like them I wouldn't change anything. But yea, you really can't do better than that rifle. KAC is arguably a more evolved AR, but I don't think the benefits really come to fruition with anything 12" plus. It's the SBRs that really break bolts and extractors, especially the sub 12" ones, namely the Mk18s, and that's where the SR15s really shine. But a 16" milspec AR with a halfway decent bolt is pretty much guaranteed to last for the life of the barrel, assuming you're not mag dumping with a giggle switch. And especially the newer gen milspec extractor kits are perfectly reliable.

So yea man, if anything I would hunt down another golden era Colt. I have a whole closet full and I'm always on the lookout for more. Sometimes you can get them stupid cheap on local forums because like I said people have absolutely no idea what's going on in the industry. They don't understand that these guns were a happy side effect of the war on terror, and probably won't be available again, especially not for these prices. That economy of scale that produced the 2010 era 6920s is unlikely to be seen again during the remainder of the ARs lifespan in service.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I agree…2100 is too much. I had a Knights, mentioned that in my post but sold if a while ago… few years. It was nice but I wanted something that doesn’t have proprietary parts. Knights bolts lugs and chamber are proprietary.

I ended up getting the DD rifle today. It was 1649…I added a G ssa-e trigger and still was less with tax than the G they had in stock at 2249.
    Congratulations.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 10-10-21 at 06:38.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post

So yea man, if anything I would hunt down another golden era Colt. I have a whole closet full and I'm always on the lookout for more. Sometimes you can get them stupid cheap on local forums because like I said people have absolutely no idea what's going on in the industry. They don't understand that these guns were a happy side effect of the war on terror, and probably won't be available again, especially not for these prices. That economy of scale that produced the 2010 era 6920s is unlikely to be seen again during the remainder of the ARs lifespan in service.
    Arms Unlimited has M4 Carbine rollmarked 6920 OEM2s for $899 with free shipping and no sales tax.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 10-10-21 at 06:40.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    Arms Unlimited has M4 Carbine rollmarked 6920 OEM2s for $899 with free shipping and no sales tax.
    That’s as cheap as it gets right now, and a solid price.

I would like to see Colt hammer out solid prices, so a complete basic 6920 is $1,000, a Magpul 6920 is $1,100 and put the OEM 6920 $900.

I have heard a lot of complaints regarding Colt over the last several decades, and a consistent theme is regarding the prices which bounce all over the place. Even if we raised the price of a 6920 to $1,100 and Magpul to $1,200, having a consistent price structure would be a good thing. For that matter, drop the Magpul and keep the clean clear lines of the basic 6920 and oem only. Just keep availability and pricing the same.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    If they have the TDP marks that's a fantastic deal.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast