Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Helmet Alternatives - Soft Head Harness for NV

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)

Helmet Alternatives - Soft Head Harness for NV

I really don't need a ballistic helmet or want spend to that kind of the money to larp around with NV. I've considered a bump helmet but that led me down the road of soft head harnesses. What's the verdict, are they any good or just a flop around mess of aggravation? Here are a few I've come up with, any others? Any standouts or are they all worthless?

Raptor Tactical Sentinel Skull Crusher GEN 2.0
    Crye Precision Nightcap
    Ops Core Skull Mounting System
    Wilcox Skull Lock
    Norotos Facemask NVG Mount
    Last edited by titsonritz; 10-09-21 at 17:29.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    I was in the same boat as you, I didn't want a helmet so I researched skullcrusher style headgear and most of them were so expensive with the exception of the Raptor.

And not knowing how comfortable as well if they would support the weight of a PVS-14 and mounts, I didn't want to spend that much money just to have to buy a helmet too.
    So I ended up with a bump helmet, I feel ridiculous wearing it but it's comfortable.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Kyle Defor has a write up on his FB page about using the Crye Precision Nightcap as a minimalist set up for NV

I went with a Ops Core Bump and am pleased with the comfort and functionality.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    I can vouch for the Nightcap. It's comfortable, packs small, and is worlds better than the issued skullcrusher was.

You can pack it and a PVS-14 into a canteen pouch.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    my Nightcap seems to work well with my NODs but I think it would be better with a counterweight on the back.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    my Nightcap seems to work well with my NODs but I think it would be better with a counterweight on the back.
    Some will tell you a counterweight isn't important on a nightcap but I think it depends on the individual. I couldn't use mine without a counterweight no matter how I had things adjusted.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com
    Ask about M4carbine.net discounts
    30 years in business- Since 1992
    robert@jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Thanks for the information guys. I think I'll give that Nightcap a whirl.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowdown3 View Post
    Some will tell you a counterweight isn't important on a nightcap but I think it depends on the individual. I couldn't use mine without a counterweight no matter how I had things adjusted.
    Agreed. I don't have one on it yet and it pulls on the back of my head a lot. I have to get a counterweight.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    The raptor one is actually pretty good since you can use the battery pack as a counter weight and it also fits well when you wear a beanie.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have used a nightcap for years. They are very stable and I never travel without one with the PVS handy. They are very easy to stow in a pouch etc...The downside is they don't offer as many options to mount IR and Task lights, counter weights etc....just aren't really designed for it. You can't really go wrong with buying a Nightcap, even if you only keep it for traveling etc....they don't cost that much in the realm of night vision "stuff".

A decent bump helmet is a good investment though. I've found mine more stable than the nightcap and much easier to use to mount things on that I need/use. Biggest thing with a helmet is make sure you size your head right and get good padding so it fits well and is comfortable.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast