Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightweight 16" barrel recommendations?

Feedback Score

Lightweight 16" barrel recommendations?

I'm gathering parts for a lighter weight walk about upper and would to hear about users with various lightweight barrels they have used.
    Right now I'm hemming and hawing over a Faxon match gunner, Wilson Combat Ranger or fluted Paul Howe barrel and an Odin works. Hoping
    to keep under 24 oz or so . Are there any others I should consider? Thanks for your help.

Feedback Score
    I did one with a Ballistic Advantage barrel and an Aero Precision upper without Forward Assist.

Sent using Tapatalk
    DK

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukr View Post
    I did one with a Ballistic Advantage barrel and an Aero Precision upper without Forward Assist.

Sent using Tapatalk
    Hanson profile? Do you like it?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ike838 View Post
    Hanson profile? Do you like it?
    Yeah, I liked it, I sold it, don't know why. I looked up the specs; says 22oz. Hanson profile, Performance Series, .625 gas block. With the Aero Precision upper and a Midwest Industries Combat Rail, it was a very nice handling gun.

Sent using Tapatalk
    DK

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I would suggest a 16" .625 Hanson barrel. Includes pinned gas block and I like the constant taper barrel profile. I would certainly recommend a Black River Tactical Light Optimum barrel, but I think they are currently out of stock https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...gth-Gas-System

Andy

Feedback Score
    I used a faxon 14.5” and did a pin and weld.very light weight and VERY ACCURATE.not sure why you don’t hear of more people using them?

Feedback Score
    Since Colt 6720 barrels aren't being made anymore I'd consider the light weight offering from Daniel Defense.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I had a faxon 14.5 match gunner.

It wouldn't shoot heavy bullets well at all; but was a laser with 50gr v max. It almost always shot 55gr ball well so I consider that a plus. I did a test were I shot a 3 rnd group to verify POI/POA, then dumped a full mag into the berm, and then shot another 3rnd group and the POA/POI was exactly the same. It seems that modern barrel manufactures dont have the same issues with LW barrel wondering when hot. The reason I ended up replacing the barrel with a 32 oz tube from BRT was because the LW barrel wasn't cooling down fast enough for me. Ironically the BRT medium tube still warms up and I have gone to using a barrel fan.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    I also did a lightweight Hanson profile from BA that is mated to a BCM4 upper with BCM BCG and a KMR 13. It was built for light competitive use but I ended up going a different direction and now it's kind of my loaner when I take people shooting. It has been tested for precision a few times and it lives up to the MOA guarantee they offer with quality ammo but it does seem to open up a bit once it gets too hot to touch (which happens pretty quickly). I can't remember the gas port size but it's a soft shooter with a standard H buffer. I find it balances really well, drives hard, and has been totally reliable. It seems to perform as well as my 6720 in terms of recreational shooting - I have not used this one in any classes or anything "hard use" besides a few mag dumps.

The thing I like about the Hanson barrels is that they come with a pined gas block which is important to me.
    Last edited by Bullz; 10-09-21 at 15:51.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    BCM has some nice fluted LW barrels as well.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast