Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightweight 16" barrel recommendations?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I don't have BA Hanson barrel but I do like that style of profile and if ever got a barrel from Aero/BA it would be a Hanson. I do have a couple of SIONICS LW barrels and a BCM ELW (mine is 14.5 though) that I like a lot. I would also recommend a Criterion CORE. All my barrels except my 18 SPR are chrome lined.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    BCM has some nice fluted LW barrels as well.
    I will take another look at both the BA the BCM barrels suggested. Whatever I end up with it will be going in a "blem" BCM stripped upper I picked up a couple of months ago.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Check out the LaRue Tactical PredatAR barrel. Not sure what they weigh, but they are sweet barrels.

https://www.larue.com/products/5-56-predatar-barrel-k/
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    I have a few BCM ELW barrels. Only one is a 16", the other two are 14.5" P/W. IMHO the weight is distributed very well (i.e. it's not nose-heavy) by putting the thicker part back in front of the chamber and tapering from there.

If you find a barrel that you like you can either leave the gas block set-screwed or get it pinned. My recommendation would be to get it pinned, but to each his own. Two of the three ELW barrels I have are pinned, one by ADCO and one by John Thomas (highly regarded for good reason). The third is the BCM factory set-screw/red Loctite combo. Haven't had a problem yet. Either choice is good if done properly, but I lean towards "overkill" and like 'em pinned.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Milspec78 View Post
    I used a faxon 14.5” and did a pin and weld.very light weight and VERY ACCURATE.not sure why you don’t hear of more people using them?
    Quality control issues.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    I have a few BCM ELW barrels. Only one is a 16", the other two are 14.5" P/W. IMHO the weight is distributed very well (i.e. it's not nose-heavy) by putting the thicker part back in front of the chamber and tapering from there.

If you find a barrel that you like you can either leave the gas block set-screwed or get it pinned. My recommendation would be to get it pinned, but to each his own. Two of the three ELW barrels I have are pinned, one by ADCO and one by John Thomas (highly regarded for good reason). The third is the BCM factory set-screw/red Loctite combo. Haven't had a problem yet. Either choice is good if done properly, but I lean towards "overkill" and like 'em pinned.
    I never had a malfunction from red thread locked set screws, but went ahead and staked them with an automatic center punch since the barrel likely can get hot enough to melt the locker. Still not as bomb proof as pins, but thinking it would take noticeable damage to knock it out of alignment with the staked screws.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    BCM ELW.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Wilson Ranger and Paul Howe variants are excellent, and in stock. GTG 5.56 chambers, expect MOA-ish accuracy. Intermediate gas, so if you're into aftermarket springs and buffers you may need to tweak.

LT PredatAR is GTG.

The BCM ELW is GTG as well, seen some that are very accurate.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    I never had a malfunction from red thread locked set screws, but went ahead and staked them with an automatic center punch since the barrel likely can get hot enough to melt the locker. Still not as bomb proof as pins, but thinking it would take noticeable damage to knock it out of alignment with the staked screws.
    Good man, I stake mine as well. I think you and I might be some of the only ones.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Good man, I stake mine as well. I think you and I might be some of the only ones.
    1168 turned me onto staking them. It was a "Why didn't I think of that?" moment.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast