Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lightweight 16" barrel recommendations?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've had really good luck with my BCM hammer forged ELW barrel. I don't think I've ever shot it for groups with a magnified optic and match ammo, however it will do 2-2.5 MOA with 55 grain ball and a red dot.

A friend has a DD light weight barrel that shoots fantastic. If I were looking for a new LW barrel the DD would be on the short list.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Even though I love the 18" Faxon Gunner I put together a few years ago I am scratching them from the list this time.
    Further research found some recent quality control and customer service complaints on another forum.
    Right now I'm leaning towards the Wilson Combat Ranger or the Odin Works Ultra. They both use 1/8 twist.
    The Odin Works is cheaper, 1.2 oz lighter, comes with a adjustable gas block and uses standard mid length gas tubes.Not 13.25" intermediate length like the Wison.
    All that being said I still wonder if the Wilson barrel would be of higher quality.
    Has anybody tried the Odin barrel?
    Is the BCM ELW worth the $100 premium? I have the feeling that any of the above barrels will exceed my skill level.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ike838 View Post
    Even though I love the 18" Faxon Gunner I put together a few years ago I am scratching them from the list this time.
    Further research found some recent quality control and customer service complaints on another forum.
    Right now I'm leaning towards the Wilson Combat Ranger or the Odin Works Ultra. They both use 1/8 twist.
    The Odin Works is cheaper, 1.2 oz lighter, comes with a adjustable gas block and uses standard mid length gas tubes.Not 13.25" intermediate length like the Wison.
    All that being said I still wonder if the Wilson barrel would be of higher quality.
    Has anybody tried the Odin barrel?
    Is the BCM ELW worth the $100 premium? I have the feeling that any of the above barrels will exceed my skill level.
    The Odin is listed at $305, holy french toast. Take a look at the Ballistic Advantage Hanson 16" .625 profile. It's 22 oz (like the Odin) would be far more durable than the Odin, and is $195 with the BA sale going on (spend 200, get 40 off.) I have shot BA barrels in the past and they were very nice. Mine never shot better than 1 MOA with good ammo, but it never shot much worse either.

https://www.ballisticadvantage.com/1...k-journal.html

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas24 View Post
    The Odin is listed at $305, holy french toast. Take a look at the Ballistic Advantage Hanson 16" .625 profile. It's 22 oz (like the Odin) would be far more durable than the Odin, and is $195 with the BA sale going on (spend 200, get 40 off.) I have shot BA barrels in the past and they were very nice. Mine never shot better than 1 MOA with good ammo, but it never shot much worse either.

https://www.ballisticadvantage.com/1...k-journal.html
    LOL

About 18 months ago or so I bought a Hodge Defense 14.5" barrel and paid $425. Of course that was pre-craziness and I've looked recently and if anyone has them in stock they are close to the same price. I don't have many rounds through mine but there haven't been any problems. Did I overpay for a barrel I didn't really need? Meh.....maybe, but I don't regret it.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Good man, I stake mine as well. I think you and I might be some of the only ones.
    You guys aren't alone. Been center punch staking mine for years. Seemed like a good idea.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    LOL

About 18 months ago or so I bought a Hodge Defense 14.5" barrel and paid $425. Of course that was pre-craziness and I've looked recently and if anyone has them in stock they are close to the same price. I don't have many rounds through mine but there haven't been any problems. Did I overpay for a barrel I didn't really need? Meh.....maybe, but I don't regret it.
    At least with Hodge you're getting a known quality piece of barrel steel. The Odin is enigmatic at best; there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information out there on it regarding gas port size, accuracy reports, etc. I was able to find it for $240 but even then I'm still leery of it, especially when BA has a pretty good track record and a much smarter external profile.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas24 View Post
    At least with Hodge you're getting a known quality piece of barrel steel. The Odin is enigmatic at best; there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information out there on it regarding gas port size, accuracy reports, etc. I was able to find it for $240 but even then I'm still leery of it, especially when BA has a pretty good track record and a much smarter external profile.
    Yeah, I'd rule that Odin out pretty fast, for reasons mentioned plus not sure why you'd want a SS barrel in the profile.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I had a 16" Colt pencil barrel that I sent to Adco to cut, P&W and and a shoulder added to the muzzle end for the muzzle device to butt up against. I had some initial zeroing issues that I ironed out, mostly operator error. Adco did a great job assembling as well and the rear DDa1 sight is exactly in the middle of the housing now that it is zeroed. This pleases me immensely. If I didn't already have the Colt I would have gone with DD, BCM or Centurion.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Pay what it costs for what you want. Barrel attributes and origins are much more important than price tag. Most of what we're talking about is in a window of +/- $75, less than the value of the ammo expended in a practice session.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    ...Intermediate gas, so if you're into aftermarket springs and buffers you may need to tweak...
    Not at all. Intermediate gas systems work just fine with H/H2/A5H2/Rifle buffers.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast