Thread: Acceptable projectile weight range for load data?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Acceptable projectile weight range for load data?

Is there an acceptable safe guideline regarding how many grains plus or minus in bullet weights you can range from for a given set of load data and feel comfortable you are not risking any safety issues?

So for example:
    If I have load data for a 100gr Barnes TTSX projectile, could I potentially use that same load data to use a different monolithic copper projectile in 105gr or 95gr? What about 85gr/110gr? What would be the safe range of bullet weights if any (assuming I would be using the lowest published powder charge and building up a safe load, NOT just taking an existing recipe and substituting a new projectile)?

I see that load data from Hornady, Nosler, and Sierra, for example will often lists multiple projectile types and weights with the same load data for a set of powders. As long as the projectiles are relatively similar, can this concept be safely applied to some of the more custom projectile that don’t generally publish specific load data?
    Last edited by ViperTwoSix; 10-09-21 at 11:08. Reason: Clarifying question in title