Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This Turns My Stomach

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

This Turns My Stomach

Three Michigan poachers went way beyond the legal harvest limits on waterfowl last December. What pisses me off to no end is the penalty for their actions. The monetary fines were probably within the maximum limits set by law, but only a one year suspension on hunting waterfowl. They should have forfeited not only their firearms but should have incurred a lifetime ban on all hunting and fishing in the state of Michigan.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/hunters-h...144648261.html

If you can't obey the rules and regs that apply to hunting and fishing, you're not a sportsman. You're a poacher.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3 AE View Post
    Three Michigan poachers went way beyond the legal harvest limits on waterfowl last December. What pisses me off to no end is the penalty for their actions. The monetary fines were probably within the maximum limits set by law, but only a one year suspension on hunting waterfowl. They should have forfeited not only their firearms but should have incurred a lifetime ban on all hunting and fishing in the state of Michigan.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/hunters-h...144648261.html

If you can't obey the rules and regs that apply to hunting and fishing, you're not a sportsman. You're a poacher.
    I'm gonna be really honest here and say I don't like the over limit thing, but the hunting over bait charge is stupid. Every time (many) I've ever hunted geese or cranes we hunted in Corn or Milo fields. The only "hunt" to it was knowing how to set the decoys and a bit of calling- the birds are VERY predictable in what fields they will feed on. Drive around in a truck with binos for two nights and they are patterned for the next morning. If you get just a little fog you're going to stack them up. In the unlimited Snow Goose season with extensions on our guns and electronic calls legal, I've killed over 25 birds in a morning, more than once.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    I can understand you being upset. These guys broke the rules and while it isn't only these 3 guys, poachers and over limit hunters damage the hunting rights in many respects

However, this appears to be the first time they have been caught. They now have the misdemeanor convictions on record, so if they get caught again the consequences will be more severe. Second chances and all that. Still $7,500 each and the loss of the firearms involved is a damn big hit. I'd call it a win. Odds are they will not do this again.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    I’d say this is too harsh of a punishment. Confiscating legally owned firearms? That’s bullshit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PracticalRifleman View Post
    I’d say this is too harsh of a punishment. Confiscating legally owned firearms? That’s bullshit!

In most states you agree to that possible punishment when you sign your hunting license.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PracticalRifleman View Post

Evidence used in the commission of a crime

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3 AE View Post
    What pisses me off to no end is the penalty for their actions.
    Friends of Half-Whitmer?
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    In most states you agree to that possible punishment when you sign your hunting license.
    I don’t care if you agree to it. It’s a bullshit punishment.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    Evidence used in the commission of a crime
    It’s not being used as evidence and then returned. It’s meant to be punitive.

People on a gun forum supporting gun confiscation....who would have guessed?

Feedback Score
    Not necessarily supporting gun confiscation. This is a very narrow circumstance in which the tools used in the commission of a crime are forfeited. Say a some guy trys to rob you at knife point, but pleads out to misdemeanor assault. Should he get his knife back? How about a house breaker getting his burglary tools returned?

Call me crazy, but I see a difference between this and what I would consider "gun confiscation".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast