Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: MK18 Vs. Geissele Super Duty 10.5

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I agree. Tube rails just aren’t tough.

All I own anymore are Geissele MK14s because they’re slim, light, super easy to remove and install. I wouldn’t consider them particularly tough though. If I was going to war I’d rather have a LaRue 13.2” quad rail and deal with an extra 1/2 pound.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think Okie's idea of spinning out a MK18 from a 6920 is a really cool idea. Only real downside is that you have to wait on a smith to get around to the work, which can be awhile now a days.

I do have a little contention with how much praise the KAC RAS is getting in this thread.

This was the issued rail when I was in, and I personally witnessed a half dozen come loose. No idea if it was poor maintenance or faulty design but it happened too frequently for me to ever say: "best place for a laser". In fact I dont think tube rails are as fragile as everyone thinks. Every manufacturer is different; but what little I do know about engineering, the circle and angles around 120* are the strongest shapes in nature and I see them all the time in free float hand guards. Strength and mass are not always directly correlated, and strength/durability/stress resistance can all be built into a shape.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    I do have a little contention with how much praise the KAC RAS is getting in this thread.

This was the issued rail when I was in, and I personally witnessed a half dozen come loose. No idea if it was poor maintenance or faulty design but it happened too frequently for me to ever say: "best place for a laser"..
    What I’ve noticed is meatheads take it apart and then reassemble the tensioning screw dongle in the chingadera incorrectly or not at all. And, yeah, there are better rails on which to place a laser, but it’ll work. I’m going to put a FP PEQ 15 on one this winter and revisit its limitations at distance if I have time.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think Okie's idea of spinning out a MK18 from a 6920 is a really cool idea. Only real downside is that you have to wait on a smith to get around to the work, which can be awhile now a days.

This was the issued rail when I was in, and I personally witnessed a half dozen come loose. No idea if it was poor maintenance or faulty design but it happened too frequently for me to ever say: "best place for a laser". In fact I dont think tube rails are as fragile as everyone thinks. Every manufacturer is different; but what little I do know about engineering, the circle and angles around 120* are the strongest shapes in nature and I see them all the time in free float hand guards. Strength and mass are not always directly correlated, and strength/durability/stress resistance can all be built into a shape.
    It's nothing to do with them being fragile. It's just physics and trigonometry.

Feedback Score
    That’s what I did with a 6920 OEM 1. Sent the barrel out had it cut and gas port opened to 0.070. Used a Centurion Arms C4 quad rail with the extension in the front. And then added a Surefire 3 prong muzzle device. I did have to wait 3-4 weeks though. Sent it to Wilson Manufacturing. Have also used John Thomas with Retro Arms who has faster turn around.

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    I did a 10.3 on a 6921 barrel, didn't open the gas port and my turbo k lives on it. My favorite for some reason.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by elia.jon1 View Post
    I did a 10.3 on a 6921 barrel, didn't open the gas port and my turbo k lives on it. My favorite for some reason.
    Yea I kinda regret opening the gas port on mine. I just wonder though, can you make yours cycle when it's vertical pointing down in like zero degree weather? That's kind of the unofficial test to know whether you've got enough gas for all conditions or not.

One thing I regret doing was sizing it for non suppressed use. Don't know when I would ever do that, it's straight up unpleasant. But Clint's gas tube will fix that, so I guess maybe it's good to have the port sized a little big if something possesses me to go sans silencer someday.

Feedback Score
    If I had to choose between my MK18 and Geissele, I'd pick my Geissele.

It's lighter, but that's a given since it doesn't have a full picatinny rail. Also, my Geissele shoots tighter then my MK18. I know barrels could be swapped out to maybe get it tighter but I'm taking about out of the box.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    The real question and probably the most important one nobody seems to be asking is who would win in a street fight, Marty Daniel or Bill Geissele?

Feedback Score
    Is it a fair fight or prison rules!?

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast