Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: MK18 Vs. Geissele Super Duty 10.5

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    I thought the change that helped the carbines back then was the heavier buffers and the copper extractor spring and black insert?!
    That was a whole separate thing from the bolts breaking. The way I heard it, a few dozen barrels came with a minor flaw in the chambers, causing extraction issues. Much like the "bending" A1 barrels, they jumped to conclusions and assumed the extractors didn't have enough oomph to handle the violent extraction of the shorties. Unlike the A1 debacle though this had a happy ending because it led to some very high quality extractor springs that were a big improvement using new materials that didn't exist at the time of the ARs initial development.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Nobody is talking about buying a 20+ year old gun so who gives AF at this point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post

Nobody is talking about buying a 20+ year old gun so who gives AF at this point?

Uh, have you read the title of this thread???

It's also kind of inaccurate to say that it's 20 years old. The very first examples are, but it's been continuously updated, and is in current service as we speak. The M4 is 30 years old, BTW, and that's what the AR15s on the market actually are, just a semi auto M4.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    Uh, have you read the title of this thread???

It's also kind of inaccurate to say that it's 20 years old. The very first examples are, but it's been continuously updated, and is in current service as we speak. The M4 is 30 years old, BTW, and that's what the AR15s on the market actually are, just a semi auto M4.
    Yeah, it doesn’t say he’s looking for a vintage MK18. Why don’t we at least stick to the last five years? DD’s gas port changed even more recently than that I think which is probably the most significant thing to happen within this context so the debate on Colt’s QA procedures or an extractor change well over a decade ago really doesn’t matter.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yeah, it doesn’t say he’s looking for a vintage MK18. Why don’t we at least stick to the last five years? DD’s gas port changed even more recently than that I think which is probably the most significant thing to happen within this context so the debate on Colt’s QA procedures or an extractor change well over a decade ago really doesn’t matter.

Why on earth do people think DD is somehow synonymous with Mk18s? They never supplied a single Mk18 as far as I know. They only supplied the rails for the very last version. Colt and LMT were the only two companies I'm aware of that ever supplied Mk18s.

DD makes a Mk18-esque clone that shares the name only. And the only similarity to the real Mk18 is that it has the rail used in the last version.

There are two characteristics that define the Mk18. The 10.3 inch barrel and the .07 gas port. That's pretty much it.

And just some food for thought, these 11.5 inch guns that are "new" or "modernized" Mk18s, they're pretty much just functionally copies of the Commando with doodads on them, which is an even older gun than the Mk18.

DD in no way has the market cornered on Mk18s, or Mk18-like guns even. And strictly speaking, if you want to get super technical, they're not even Mk18s to begin with. So if we were going to make assumptions about guns OP doesn't want to hear about, I would put the DD Mk18 at the top of that list, since he didn't specifically say close enough is good enough.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Well that does it...I've got 3 or 4 Colt 6920 barrels in the parts bin, I'm gonna cut one down to 10.3" and run that FSB.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Well that does it...I've got 3 or 4 Colt 6920 barrels in the parts bin, I'm gonna cut one down to 10.3" and run that FSB.
    I've used ADCO and Class III Machining, and found both to be highly competent. ADCO is cheaper, though, and has very fast turnaround. C3M does oddball stuff though that ADCO won't touch like P90 conversions and that kind of thing. For a simple Crane chop I would go with ADCO. FYI, if you have a direct thread suppressor, make sure it has some relief cut into it. The CNC threads no longer have a relief cut in the barrel behind them, and some of the muzzle devices out there don't play nice with them. If your muzzle device doesn't have that relief, you'll have to use shims, request the relief be but in the barrel on a manual lathe (Morgan at Class III can do that, ADCO not sure about), or have someone cut the relief in the muzzle device. Most have the relief already, but with CNC threads now being industry standard some manufacturers were slow to learn.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beard_of_War View Post
    Is it a fair fight or prison rules!?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    Why on earth do people think DD is somehow synonymous with Mk18s? They never supplied a single Mk18 as far as I know. They only supplied the rails for the very last version. Colt and LMT were the only two companies I'm aware of that ever supplied Mk18s.

DD makes a Mk18-esque clone that shares the name only. And the only similarity to the real Mk18 is that it has the rail used in the last version.

There are two characteristics that define the Mk18. The 10.3 inch barrel and the .07 gas port. That's pretty much it.

And just some food for thought, these 11.5 inch guns that are "new" or "modernized" Mk18s, they're pretty much just functionally copies of the Commando with doodads on them, which is an even older gun than the Mk18.

DD in no way has the market cornered on Mk18s, or Mk18-like guns even. And strictly speaking, if you want to get super technical, they're not even Mk18s to begin with. So if we were going to make assumptions about guns OP doesn't want to hear about, I would put the DD Mk18 at the top of that list, since he didn't specifically say close enough is good enough.
    Well, DD literally sells a gun and upper that has your two defining characteristics and they also just so happen to have named it the MK18. Many people consider it unless specified that they are looking for a clone correct gun, which OP never did.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well, DD literally sells a gun and upper that has your two defining characteristics and they also just so happen to have named it the MK18. Many people consider it unless specified that they are looking for a clone correct gun, which OP never did.

The dude never even so much as implied he was referring to one specific brand. The only specific he mentioned was a vague reference to a rail that could describe any rail ever used with the Mk18s.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast