Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New 4" Shield Plus - and then some...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

New 4" Shield Plus - and then some...

Yesterday, I picked up a 9mm S&W 4" Performance Center Shield. It's been calling to me for a little while now... I will say that it does whip the llamas' ass - I am really impressed by how this gun shoots. No kidding. I got to shoot it yesterday afternoon - and it groups VERY nicely.

I also got a 4" Shield 2.0 earlier this summer. And, at the time - I debated as to which version to get - the 2.0 or the Plus... Go figure, now I have both... The original 4" thin version, and the 4" Plus size version as well. Both are awesome guns.

I've never been a fan of fiber optics, until now. I like that S&W puts some spiral metal around the fiber optic tube in order to protect it from breaking. I'd never seen that before. Now, I am not so worried about something happening to the light rod. If anyone makes sights like this for other guns, I'd really consider buying them. Usually, the fiber optic rod is rather unprotected on most FO sights.

Also, I complained on another forum recently about having trouble seeing the front sight on some of my handguns (as I get older). There certainly is no issues with that with the fiber optics. The front dot REALLY stands out for me. Very cool.

I did compare both the thin 4" Shield and the new Shield Plus 4" version. I do shoot both equally as well. But, the original Shield size has always felt almost TOO thin. I no longer have that with the Shield Plus. It feels great in the hand - it's a bit wider (than the original Shield) in the web of my right hand, and this is much more comfortable.

I might replace my Glock 19 with this as my main carry gun. It shoots that well.

The range I shot at had some of the 13 round Shield Plus mags, so I picked up an extra one yesterday as well.

Anyway, now I have 3 Shields...

The original, smaller Shield really makes a great pocket gun with my cargo pants. And, I got that one for $249 right (before this covid mess hit). But, I will say that the 4" Plus is my favorite of the three...

Anyone else have one?

Feedback Score
    I have the 4 inch performance center version, great shooting pistol. I debated on the plus but I have a 2.0 compact . But it’s tempting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpb1776 View Post
    I have the 4 inch performance center version, great shooting pistol. I debated on the plus but I have a 2.0 compact . But it’s tempting

Well, I kept going back and forth on the issue too. But, I figured that it is really the ONLY gun I want right now anyway - so I went ahead and took the plunge. I ordered it online, and they finally shipped it after a week.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShipWreck View Post
    I will say that it does whip the llamas' ass
    WinAMP! It's been a long time since I heard that.

Past the second cattle guard, at the end of the gravel road
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I also transitioned to a 2.0 Shield. I was impressed with its accuracy.

I switched the factory sights for Trijicon Orange front dot and U shaped notch blackened rear site.
    Not as good for accuracy but easy to acquire.
    "Jill, if there's ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony ... take that double-barrel shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house,.." VP Joe Biden Feb 19, 2013

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ready.Fire.Aim View Post
    I also transitioned to a 2.0 Shield. I was impressed with its accuracy.

I switched the factory sights for Trijicon Orange front dot and U shaped notch blackened rear site.
    Not as good for accuracy but easy to acquire.
    Yea, I have found the U shaped rear sights to not be as accurate. I prefer the square notch instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    WinAMP! It's been a long time since I heard that.

Sho nuff

Feedback Score
    How is the trigger on the new Shield Plus? I have been interested but just haven't been able to get my hands one.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    The one I looked at was decent, I think it was as good as my performance center trigger and would have gotten better with some time. Granted this was just at a gun shop, but I think it’s the same trigger and I have about 600 rounds down the tube plus dry fire. I will say this the 4 inch shield really makes me look good at the range easy gun to shoot well

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank6046 View Post
    How is the trigger on the new Shield Plus? I have been interested but just haven't been able to get my hands one.
    The trigger is amazing... I took that 4" Shield Plus to the range again today - for the 2nd time. And, I must say that I shoot it as well or better than my Berettas. I did very well at the farthest distance at the indoor range too (15 yards). And, out of all the guns I own, I do double taps with this gun the best.

I really think it is because of two reasons. One, I have small hands. I do like the feel of the 92FS in my hand. But, I have sold many guns over the years - because the grip is just too big for my hands... So, so many.

This Shield Plus does feel better than the thinner original Shield grip. It's "just right." I think I get a better grip on the gun for my size hands. I think that is why I shoot double taps better with this gun than any other gun I have owned.

And two, this new Shield Plus trigger is fantastic. It really helps with the accuracy... It breaks VERY nicely, and that flat trigger just works...

And finally - I posted a few weeks ago about having a tough time seeing the front dot with my 50 year old eyes. I said that I could see a red dot optic is in my future because of age... And, I don't really care for red dots on pistols. But man, these fiber optic sights that S&W uses on their Performance Center models are just awesome. I like how they have a metal spiral around the light rod to protect them. Most fiber optics don't have that, and the light rods break so easily. Not on these....

These bright red and green dots solve my eye issues. That may be another reason why I shoot the gun so well.

Feedback Score
    INteresting. My standard Shield is my pocket gun. I need to give these a look as I start to wear pants again. I barely wore a belt during the pandemic.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast