Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which setup to build for wife

Feedback Score

Which setup to build for wife

Should I build an ultra lite AR or AR PCC?
    What have you guys done for your wives??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I would think ultralight AR as blowback PCC kicks more. Bearing Delay may change that but they are expensive and yet unproven long term.

p.s. welcome, lurker!
    "We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Forget PCC, a normal rifle using the same normal mags and 5.56 is where it's at.

We put together a nice, light, effective 16" middy. It's set up exactly like she wants, has a light and RDS, and she's proficient with it.

It IS the lightest rifle in the battery, by design.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    Forget PCC, a normal rifle using the same normal mags and 5.56 is where it's at.

We put together a nice, light, effective 16" middy. It's set up exactly like she wants, has a light and RDS, and she's proficient with it.

It IS the lightest rifle in the battery, by design.
    Same. BCM 14.5 ELW-F with MCMR. Everything is designed to be light but fully functional - Scalarworks mount, micro dot, M300 light, etc. No low mass components, just light barrel, rail, and accessories.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The 9mm blowback AR has surprisingly harsh recoil. Making it lightweight just increases that.

A lighter but not crazy lightweight 5.56 is the better option. Just a pencil barrel and lighter handguard that isn’t longer than necessary. A 9” or 10” BCM would be a good example.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the comments…. Going with the 556 with pencil barrel… it was my original direction but just wanted to confirm!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackIce117 View Post
    Thanks for the comments…. Going with the 556 with pencil barrel… it was my original direction but just wanted to confirm!!

Another thing that would go a long way towards making the rifle enjoyable for her to shoot is proper gassing. You could buy a known well gassed barrel from someone like Sionics or whomever, or you could get any barrel and then get a BRT gas tube for it.

I bought a BCM pencil barrel upper a few years ago and it was pretty over gassed. A BRT gas block insert tamed it perfectly.
    Last edited by georgeib; 10-21-23 at 10:52. Reason: Spelling
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Same. BCM 14.5 ELW-F with MCMR. Everything is designed to be light but fully functional - Scalarworks mount, micro dot, M300 light, etc. No low mass components, just light barrel, rail, and accessories.
    I started a thread in the general discussion forum looking for a light weight 14.5” upper. I ended up going with this BCM upper. Just got them in a few days ago and will hit the range tomorrow. It’s not just the great weight, but the barrel taper brings the weight back to the rear.

My wife, all 5’4, 120lbs of her, feels like this is the perfect rifle for her (SBR’s aside).

I’ll post photos of the setup of that thread later on. Scalarworks 1/3 Mount, primary arms md20 red dot, streamlight tlr1 hl light at 12 o’clock and bus pro backup sights.

Everything you need, nothing you don’t.

If 14.5” pin/weld isn’t your thing they have the same elw setup in 16”.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Something else to consider is building the carbine light on the upper but using a standard weight stock rather than the ultra light stocks. The reason is for balance and moving that balance point to the rear will allow the carbine to feel much lighter overall. Those ultra light stock options may make the carbine lighter overall but they will feel and handle heavier because the majority of the weight will be forward of the magwell.

I've built more of these than I can count for lady/youth shooters. My preference has always been to build around a 14.5" LW Middy with a 10"-11" ultra light/slim handguard. I also prefer the Magpul K Grip for thesemaxwell.

Also, stick to mico optics like the Aimpoint Micro. You want avoid weight AND bulk with these builds.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by wahoo95; 10-21-23 at 11:02.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    For those with reduced strength that balance is important. Even using a Brownells lightweight nitride BCG and an H3 buffer produces a small but noticeable shift to the rear, compared to the standard carbine setup.

A sticky Limbsaver stock pad helps keep weight on the shoulder, though it can snag on clothing so shouldering must be deliberate.

A counterpoint to the K Grip recommendation: the large beavertail of the B5 Type 23 transfers weight to the web of the hand reducing stress and fatigue on the fingers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast