Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Magnifier options/reviews

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    I will note that the Aimpoint 6XMag-1 also suffers from a very small FOV, which is why I personally passed on it. I would say that the EOTech is the one most likely to gain further aftermarket support, if that's something you care about.

The LPVO and magnifier/unmagnified optic combo fulfill distinctly different roles, IMO, and while there is overlap, I personally use them in very different ways.
    I agree. The magnifier is good for zeroing and for stretching a fast short range setup into medium range, whereas the LPVO is a medium range setup that can work up close. There are some caveats, but that seems to be the general rule.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by j102 View Post
    Another thing to keep in mind with magnifiers is that the dot is magnified too. With a second focal plane LPVO, the dot/reticle size remains the same.
    If I go higher than 3X, I would look for a LPVO.
    I have wondered why there isn't a long eye relief magnifier capable of mounting in front of the optic.

Haven't handled a magnifier above 3x, but anything decent with more magnification I can recall seeing jumped in price enough that an LPVO makes more sense on the cost end alone.

And the LPVO likely doing a much better and more versatile job than my theoretical LER magnifier may be why none exists.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 10-15-21 at 21:17.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I agree. The magnifier is good for zeroing and for stretching a fast short range setup into medium range, whereas the LPVO is a medium range setup that can work up close. There are some caveats, but that seems to be the general rule.
    Yep. The way I've heard it is that a RDS+Mag is good if you're expecting engagement distances mostly to be between 0-50 mostly, but with targets over 100 yards away to be likely as well. LVPOs are good if you're expecting most engagements to be 100 yards and beyond, with a good chance for some close up work as well.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by j102 View Post
    Definitely! I have thought about getting a LPVO, but so far I’m happy with a Red Dot and 3x magnifier.
    While I have a LPVO setup myself, guys who are shooting PCC are going back to red dots for speed...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Superset CA ACSS red dot + magnifier

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    I know the Aimpoint 6X is big bucks which is why it isn't an option. My 3X Aimpoint I got for around 1/2 price due to it being a store demo.
    Its optical clarity is very poor. Finicky eye box and low light transmission. That is likely why it doesn't get talked about much...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebiuspower View Post
    While I have a LPVO setup myself, guys who are shooting PCC are going back to red dots for speed...
    In competition?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    In competition?
    Yup..

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebiuspower View Post
    Yup..
    In addition to a red dot magnifier, a separate fixed-power scope, or by itself?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DefenderAO View Post
    Its optical clarity is very poor. Finicky eye box and low light transmission. That is likely why it doesn't get talked about much...
    What is "low light transmission"? 75% is not very good compared to the >90% you'll see on nicer LPVOs, but at the same time, is it any worse than other magnifiers? I've never really been able to dig out any published specs, whether be from Vortex, EOTech, Trijicon, etc. To my eye, my G33 had worse light transmission than my 3XMag-1.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast