Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modlite PLHv2 vs Modlite OKW through a LVPO

Feedback Score

Modlite PLHv2 vs Modlite OKW through a LVPO

Hey guys, I’m currently running a Vortex Viper PST 1-4 and I’m thinking about swapping it for a Trijicon Credo 1-8. I’m also looking at either the Modlite PLHv2 or the OKW for this rifle which is a 16 inch middy build. My question is, does anyone have experience with these lights through a LVPO not just a red dot? My gut wants to lean towards the PLHv2 since it seems to be a good balance of spill AND throw but it still has a good throw compared to other weapon lights on the market. I know I should never really “need” the throw of the OKW but to be honest this is a true SHTF build and I live in an area of desert with wide open spaces in between dwellings depending where you are. If I could get positive identification with the PLHv2 at say 150-200 yards I’ll go with that light since it also gives better spill. Does anyone have any experience with these two lights through LVPOs on use for a RECCE rifle setup? Any input or two cents is appreciated thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I run the PLHv2’s on a couple LPVO 14.5” guns.
    No issues with illumination/PID to 150 yds. Went with them due to their alleged versatility, which proved to be the case.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    If we were still talking about the PLHv1 I'd say hands downs go with the OKW, but the PLHv2 has really closed that gap as it almost reaches out like the OKW. I currently have an OKW on my 16" w/LPVO and find it a good match. One of the guys I train with broke out his PLHv2 and it is very comparable but not quit the same reach. I didn't have it on my gun, just checking it out at various distances. When I buy my next light it will be a PLHv2 and I'll switch them around. Bottom line you really can't go wrong either way.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    If we were still talking about the PLHv1 I'd say hands downs go with the OKW, but the PLHv2 has really closed that gap as it almost reaches out like the OKW. I currently have an OKW on my 16" w/LPVO and find it a good match. One of the guys I train with broke out his PLHv2 and it is very comparable but not quit the same reach. I didn't have it on my gun, just checking it out at various distances. When I buy my next light it will be a PLHv2 and I'll switch them around. Bottom line you really can't go wrong either way.
    But the throw is “long enough” for a RECCE type setup on the PLHv2? How was the spill on the PLHv2 vs the OKW?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by a1madrid View Post
    But the throw is “long enough” for a RECCE type setup on the PLHv2? How was the spill on the PLHv2 vs the OKW?

The PLHv2 will light up 150 even 200 yards, the OKW is 300+, for sure more spill with the PLHv2 but the OKW is still very workable even fairly close up. Shining into the night sky an OKW looks like a big lightsaber, the PLHv2 has a more noticeable cone of light.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    The PLHv2 will light up 150 even 200 yards, the OKW is 300+, for sure more spill with the PLHv2 but the OKW is still very workable even fairly close up. Shining into the night sky an OKW looks like a big lightsaber, the PLHv2 has a more noticeable cone of light.
    From your description it sounds like the PLHv2 would make a good sub gun light.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    From your description it sounds like the PLHv2 would make a good sub gun light.
    Without question. The PLHv2 is the way to go unless you need to punch out further. If I was a rural cop I'd lean to the OKW but for most I think the PLHv2 will serve better.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)

Went out last night in the full moon with a fellow officer with my hand-held PLHv2 (18650) and weapon-mounted OKW DF (18650) to a local ball park. I was on the outfield deck of a college baseball field and had my guy moving around past the dugout/homeplate/bleechers.

Obviously ambient conditions are a factor but here's the short of what we found:

At distances of 115-150 yards:
    In searching for suspect/targets, the PHL was more advantageous as the size of the hotspot across the field with the OKW only gave about 7-8' diameter. Twice I missed my guy who had gotten off the ground level and didn't pick him up until the 4th or 5th scan of the area.

PID though a 1-8x S&B was fair enough with either but 100% facial recognition was not guaranteed with the PHL under magnification...it was with the OKW (if I managed to find him)

No question with either on making a potential shot. As noted, engagement out to 200-300 yards respectively with the PHL and OKW would not be a problem on targets with contrast under lighting conditions where you don't have a major photonic barrier before you get at a target that's in the dark.
    Last edited by pointblank4445; 10-21-21 at 10:43.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    Went out last night in the full moon with a fellow officer with my hand-held PLHv2 (18650) and weapon-mounted OKW DF (18650) to a local ball park. I was on the outfield deck of a college baseball field and had my guy moving around past the dugout/homeplate/bleechers.

Obviously ambient conditions are a factor but here's the short of what we found:

At distances of 115-150 yards:
    In searching for suspect/targets, the PHL was more advantageous as the size of the hotspot across the field with the OKW only gave about 7-8' diameter. Twice I missed my guy who had gotten off the ground level and didn't pick him up until the 4th or 5th scan of the area.

PID though a 1-8x S&B was fair enough with either but 100% facial recognition was not guaranteed with the PHL under magnification...it was with the OKW (if I managed to find him)

No question with either on making a potential shot. As noted, engagement out to 200-300 yards respectively with the PHL and OKW would not be a problem on targets with contrast under lighting conditions where you don't have a major photonic barrier before you get at a target that's in the dark.
    At what distance would you say was the max that you could get positive facial recognition through your LPVO with the PLHv2? Thank you man this was a lot of helpful information.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by a1madrid View Post
    At what distance would you say was the max that you could get positive facial recognition through your LPVO with the PLHv2? Thank you man this was a lot of helpful information.
    Given the ambient light of the full moon and some ambient pollution from a lit softball field 1/3 mile away, the lights were robbing the Modlites somewhat as they had to burn through in the 100+ yards of open area. There was noticeable haze and this is with the clarity of the best glass/image money can buy in an LPVO. With consideration, 150y was pushing the limits of detailed facial features given the conditions. Like mirage, this "haze" was not helped by dialing up more magnification.

Say you had to pick an unknown out of a 6 or 8 person picture line-up of similar features, you'd probably have enough info to narrow it to a few, but 100% positive ID would be iffy beyond 150y in the conditions we were in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast