Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about moving to Arizona

Feedback Score
    Housing sucks in Tucson right now based of off what I've heard my house hunting friends say. Just the nature of the overall housing market, coupled with Tucson's expansion in the past decade or so. Lot of folks willing to pay cash over asking, it sounds like, based off of my friends' experiences getting outbid.

Tucson is also a fairly left-leaning city. I am originally from Texas, and usually describe it as being the Austin of Arizona (left leaning, casts itself as being quirky). Phoenix would be like Dallas (big, no character, shit traffic).

I don't know about schools since I don't have kids, but there is expansion noticeable in the NW side, close to Marana, where a number of newly built/in development neighborhoods are springing up.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    Either way you're trapped inside and can't really do anything outside in the Summer. I'm picking the place where I won't get 3rd degree burns on my hands from touching the door knobs from inside the house. And the Winters are usually nice in Texas anyways since humidity isn't really noticeable when it's 50/60 degrees outside.
    You don’t duck hunt do you? Personally I can tell a difference between winter in the Deep South and being cold some where that isn’t as humid. This humidity gets in your bones and makes everything feel wet. I really liked the northeastern region of Arizona. It was really pretty and had greenery.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAMBONE View Post
    You don’t duck hunt do you? Personally I can tell a difference between winter in the Deep South and being cold some where that isn’t as humid. This humidity gets in your bones and makes everything feel wet. I really liked the northeastern region of Arizona. It was really pretty and had greenery.
    Nope, I don't hunt anything except for online sales on guns and ammo. I'm not against hunting, it's just not my kind of hobby and I don't do well with the sight of blood.

Here in Washington it's usually pretty high humidity all Winter long (99% for a lot of it and the Spring too), but I never venture outside too much in the Winter here (way too cold for me). But when Spring rolls around and it's in the 50s and 60s with 85% to 99% humidity I don't really have issues with that and that's basically what a Texas Winter is, like Spring in Washington.

I'd definitely need nice greenery though. Coming from Washington I need some forests around me and that's another reason I've liked the looks of East Texas... Just not a fan of desert locations and scrub brush.

I'm not moving yet, but I like to think about it sometimes.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    Ill take 115 degrees with 15 percent humidity over 95 degrees with 80 percent humidity any day.
    ^^^Without question, you can have that hot, humid crap.

If I was moving to AZ, it would be in the north, something like between Flagstaff and Prescott.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    ^^^Without question, you can have that hot, humid crap.

If I was moving to AZ, it would be in the north, something like between Flagstaff and Prescott.
    This. Prescott is gorgeous but housing is high, of course everywhere from Arizona to the Canadian border is out west.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    From my buddy:

Stay away from Tucson city limits. Corona de Tucosn, Sahuarita, Marana and Vail are all good areas. I live west of Tucson in the county.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    N
    I'd definitely need nice greenery though. Coming from Washington I need some forests around me and that's another reason I've liked the looks of East Texas... Just not a fan of desert locations and scrub brush.
    You know like a third of Az is forests?

It's not Washington type forests (my sister lives in Yelm) but it's decibel not desert.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    You know like a third of Az is forests?

It's not Washington type forests (my sister lives in Yelm) but it's decibel not desert.
    That is actually surprising to me... I had to go look at Google Earth to check it out and there is indeed a green strip forest-like terrain running East to West through the middle of the state. I always thought that Arizona was just a big & flat, sandy, dry desert with a big canyon running through it. It's still too hot there, but it's nice to know it has more inhabitable greener areas.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 10-19-21 at 19:26.

Feedback Score
    C-GRANT thank you for your suggestions. We will definitely check those places out. Nether me nor my wife have any inclination to live in a city. We are looking for more of a suburban feel where your property can be at least 100ft away from your closest neighbor. Also since we are still open to where we can move do you guys think that moving closer to Phoenix is a better idia? I just don't want to end up in a same type of environment as we have here in Illinois. Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    Tucson has always seemed pretty liberal to me. If you are looking for land check out around Florence, we camp south of there and it's pretty nice there in the winter. Anywhere in the low desert will get hot in the summer. I have a small house in Clifton Az. (SE AZ) that needs to be finished that I would sell (health issues wont let me finish it). It sit on the San Francisco River and looks out to nothing but mountains as far as you can see.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast