Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about moving to Arizona

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    That is actually surprising to me... I had to go look at Google Earth to check it out and there is indeed a green strip forest-like terrain running East to West through the middle of the state. I always thought that Arizona was just a big & flat, sandy, dry desert with a big canyon running through it. It's still too hot there, but it's nice to know it has more inhabitable greener areas.
    Definitely isnt flat. We are one of the "Mountain States" with an average elevation of around 4000 feet. The South Rim of the Grand Canyon (where the main park is located) sits at 7000 feet. Also the mountain towns dont get hot like the desert towns. The average high temperature in July for Flagstaff is in the low 80s. It does get really cold there in the winter though.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    OP here are some pics Ive taken of the northern/eastern parts of Az.

Flagstaff in the summer. Trip we took to see the Lowell Observatory.

20180725_103637 by chase, on Flickr

20180725_103526 by chase, on Flickr

Pics of Flagstaff last winter. First is when we got there and the others are the next morning.

20190320_150743 by chase, on Flickr

20190321_063217 by chase, on Flickr

20190321_071017 by chase, on Flickr

Here are some pics from a camping trip in the north/east near Payson.

20190614_191046 by chase, on Flickr

20190831_123018 by chase, on Flickr

20190615_192327 by chase, on Flickr

20190901_111537 by chase, on Flickr
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Phoenix is hotter than Tucson, but I think it has better 2A representation. If you do move to Tucson, I suggest Marana (NW Tucson). Better schools than TUSD (I would move out of state before letting my kids go to a TUSD school). Sauarita is nice, too. If you look at Marana and want land, west of the town and north into Pinal county has some nice tracks of desert. We bought 3.5 acres on Dove Mountain (not IN Dove Mountain, but ON Dove Mountain) and just as the economy turned up (ya' know, when the last guy was president), the area exploded in housing. Just drive north on Twin Peaks from I-10.
    Anyway, PIMA county is governance is a clown show that only mirrors the Tucson City Clown'cile. Otherwise, we love the state's gun & knife laws and it's diversity of flora & fauna. We're just hoping that the mass exodus of Blue Californians won't turn the state purple or blue... damn. Never mind

Feedback Score
    I want to thank everyone for your contribution to this thread. I have got the leads I was looking for. Now one more question that I started to ponder about after reading your replies: if you were to move to Phoenix area where would you go?

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by zgrins1 View Post
    I want to thank everyone for your contribution to this thread. I have got the leads I was looking for. Now one more question that I started to ponder about after reading your replies: if you were to move to Phoenix area where would you go?
    I live in Phoenix. What are your must haves?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    You think you can handle the heat? Because that alone would keep me out of Arizona. I'd move to Texas which doesn't have it nearly as bad for the heat, but the high humidity sucks there.
    I moved from Dallas to AZ in the middle of the summer, the weather was much worse in TX. Bugs and humidity are insane. And I like TX but weather wise you get ice storms, tornadoes ...TX does not get a bad rap for weather, but it should. YMMV

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I moved from Dallas to AZ in the middle of the summer, the weather was much worse in TX. Bugs and humidity are insane. And I like TX but weather wise you get ice storms, tornadoes ...TX does not get a bad rap for weather, but it should. YMMV

PB
    I don't doubt you, I've been looking at Texas for a few years now and even though Dallas is a bit North and West of where I've been paying attention to it still has the same lousy humidity in the Summertime.

All I know is that I wouldn't want to live in the more desert Western regions of Texas because it usually gets far too cold in the Winter and far too hot in the Summer for me... The older I get I'm just not a fan of extremes in temperature on either end of the spectrum. But, I know I wouldn't handle the humidity of an East Texas Summer very well either. I'm thinking it would maybe be a great place for a Winter house, not that I could afford to own and maintain 2 separate places for different times of the year... I'm just dreaming though, so what the heck?

Bugs? I'm not sure how badly that would bother me since I'm an indoors cat most of the time anyways.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 10-26-21 at 09:58.

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys. To donlapalma :I'm looking for safe and good neighborhoods, good schools, my new house has some pivacy, preferably around 100ft or more away from my closest neighbor. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Everything said about Tucson has been pretty accurate, I live in Marana and the grade schools are okay but not keen on the middle schools/high schools. Canyon Del Oro (CDO) school district is better and Catalina Foothills has the highest scores. Both school districts have higher tax rates and pricier properties.

Tucson is cooler than Phx and cools down more in the evenings/mornings. As people have said, it’s pretty liberal here though.
    Phx is redder but I too fear the influx of liberals fleeing CA may have an adverse effect too.

If you are interested in Phx, there is a large gun range NW of town on I17 and AZ74 ,Ben Avery shooting complex. They have a variety of ranges including long distance out to maybe 1000yds if that’s your thing. N of Phx is Anthem and New River, both growing communities not too far North of town.

In between Tucson and Phx are Florence and Casa Grande, smaller more rural communities.

I do love AZ gun laws and the shooting opportunities here. There are two public ranges, at least one private range, and two indoor ranges. Plenty of available competition events although I don’t compete.

Best wishes on your plans to relocate, bring your sunscreen!

Feedback Score
    Thanks tucsondirt

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast