Thread: How much rattle and play should a trigger or grip safety have?

Feedback Score

How much rattle and play should a trigger or grip safety have?

New to the 1911 world. Started with a parkerized Springfield Mil Spec which is a fantastic handgun. The build quality is very solid with not a single rattle or other loose component.

Wanted another 1911 with a stainless finish but not too flashy, for a reasonable price. Got a great deal on a Ruger SR1911 Full Size, after reading/watching many really good reviews.

Ordered online, shipped it to the FFL, and transferred today. The Ruger is nice but doesn’t seem as close to Springfield’s build quality. There is a very obvious rattle coming from the trigger and grip safety, both of which are a bit loose.

Is this normal for Ruger 1911s, or should I send it back to them to fix? Haven’t even put a single round through the gun yet. A bit disappointed since the Springfield was $300 cheaper and seems to be a much better product.

Feedback Score
    Do you mean you notice a rattle when you shake the Ruger?

My experience is limited. My only 1911 is a Mil Spec. It’s pretty tight and I do not notice any rattle. I’ve been very pleased with mine.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'd shoot it first. See how it runs and if there are any issues. Then if the loose parts are an still bothering you, contact them.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I'd shoot it first. See how it runs and if there are any issues. Then if the loose parts are an still bothering you, contact them.
    Good advice. I’ll take it down and clean/lube tomorrow and shoot it this week.

Quote Originally Posted by magister View Post
    Do you mean you notice a rattle when you shake the Ruger?
    Yeah, seems to be more the trigger than the grip safety. The trigger is aluminum and just kind of floats there with a lot of play.

There’s also play in the slide/frame. The Springfield Mil Spec is tight fitting. The Ruger is more loose.
    Last edited by neil0311; 10-15-21 at 23:03.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    This is good advice. A gunsmith can take the up and down slack out of the 1911 trigger in a few minutes using a center punch.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
    How much rattle and play should a trigger or grip safety have?
    Should, need, or want? GI spec pistols should have a fair amount of rattle and play. All mechanical parts need some clearance. Everyone wants the minimum amount possible.

The rattle and play in the grip safety can be reduced by bending the right leaf of the sear spring outward to apply more pressure to the grip safety. This is something you can do yourself.

If you look closely at the trigger, you'll probably see a gap between the top of the shoe and the frame. You'll also probably be able to move the trigger up and down in the frame. The simplest fix is to fit a new trigger. Notice I didn't say drop in a new trigger. An oversized trigger shoe allows you to carefully file the shoe so that it is a slip fit both horizontally and vertically.

You can also use a tool like this one from Brownells to insure the trigger stirrup fits the frame correctly.

You can also reduce fore and aft trigger movement by adjusting the take up tabs, if your trigger has them.

T2C is right about using a center punch to remove the slack in the trigger.

I recommend that you engage the services of a 'smith for any trigger work.
    Last edited by Steve_in_Allentown; 10-16-21 at 08:39.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_in_Allentown View Post
    I recommend that you engage the services of a 'smith for any trigger work.
    Thanks for the suggestions, and yes…I know what things I do well, and what things I need to pay others who do them well. Adjusting or replacing triggers is something I leave to others. 😉

It helps that I know a reasonably priced gunsmith with 40 years experience.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have multiple platforms of 1911's and of different quality. No Mfg makes a tighter gun that SA. My first TRP was so tight I thought, NO WAY IT WILL RUN, but it did 100%. My Colt Rail gun, rattles when you wiggle it, runs 100%. Different philosophies I guess. Colt known for this and SA known for tighter than a frogs ass, WATERTIGHT.

I would not sweat it as long as it shoots just fine.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    If it rattles while you are carrying it, especially conceal then it rattles to much and since it's a Ruger I'd send it back telling them of the issues.