Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Art Acevedo Update, it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Art Acevedo Update, it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...month-n1281621

Miami city commissioners voted unanimously Thursday to fire Police Chief Art Acevedo just six months after he assumed the post.

The five-member commission conducted a 4½-hour quasi-judicial hearing, acting as "judges" and hearing from four witnesses, before they decided to terminate Acevedo just days after he was suspended by Miami City Manager Art Noriega.

The expected decision came after several contentious weeks of controversy and acrimonious exchanges between Acevedo and commissioners Joe Carollo, Manolo Reyes and Alex Díaz de la Portilla.

Byrne said multiple times that Acevedo was suspended and terminated because he wrote a fiery memo on Sept. 24 accusing three commissioners of interfering in his internal affairs and of retaliating against him by eliminating the budget for crucial high-level police positions, among other actions. He compared some of the commissioners' moves to those of communist Cuba.

"Every single allegation made against him [that was] presented predated sending that memo, and that tells us that Chief Acevedo wasn't suspended for those claimed reasons," Byrne said. "He was suspended because he had courage to do what many don't, to speak truth to power."

Outside counsel whom Noriega hired to defend his decision to suspend Acevedo laid out the eight reasons listed in the memorandum sent to Acevedo, relieving him of his duties.

Among them was the claim that rank-and-file officers and the executive staff had lost confidence in Acevedo, leading him to lose his ability to lead the department, said Noriega's attorney, Stephanie Marchman.

He also made unauthorized comments about Covid-19 vaccination requirements, failed to report his personal and vacation time and offended the community by telling 300 officers that the city was run by the "Cuban Mafia," Marchman said.

Recommended

LATINO
    Thousands of outraged Puerto Ricans protest power outages, block main highway traffic

U.S. NEWS
    Riders watched as a woman was raped on a SEPTA train but no one called 911, police say.
    Marchman called three witnesses: the city's human resources director, Interim Police Chief Manuel Morales and Assistant Police Chief Armando Aguilar. Each spoke about Acevedo's alleged improprieties.

Morales said that "a litany of things" led to the loss of confidence in Acevedo's ability to lead but that "it boils down to the systematic demoralization of the police department that has been a result of [Acevedo's] leadership style."

He added that Acevedo did not intervene when his deputy, Heather Morris, verbally abused several members of the executive staff by using vulgar language, screaming and waving her hand in their faces.

"It was a little bit bizarre for me," he said. "I would have expected him to bring down the tone and use his authority to stop the situation and bring calm to the room, as things could have escalated quickly."

Aguilar, who also referred to the incident, said a survey conducted by the Miami Fraternal Order of Police found that 79 percent of those questioned believed Acevedo should resign or be removed.

Byrne said that Morales and Aguilar applied for the job before Acevedo was hired and that they were looking to apply for the position if he was terminated. He also questioned the veracity of the survey, claiming that some officers could have voted multiple times.

Miami officials to fire police chief after six months on the job
    OCT. 12, 202101:20
    Noriega, the final witness, said it had "become clear to me that the chief was no longer capable of managing the department, and I lost faith in his ability to do so."

Noriega commented on a video the commissioners viewed multiple times of Acevedo using profanities when he confronted a person at a protest. Another video showed Acevedo telling a journalist that he would require the police department to be vaccinated if he had his way.

Noriega said Acevedo's downfall stemmed from a lack of understanding of the community.

"When you're not from here, without the pre-existing relationships and network, it takes time to establish that, and he didn't allow for that," he said. "He engineered his demise."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    He'll probably have a new job at another PD by Monday morning.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    He needs to take his punk ass back to California.
    He was a shit while he was in Texas
    Last edited by Averageman; 10-16-21 at 12:31.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Big city police chief is a political position. Guys can suck at the job but if their politics align with city counsel, you're golden.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    Big city police chief is a political position. Guys can suck at the job but if their politics align with city counsel, you're golden.
    It really is, and the sad thing is, he'll probably get another gig very soon with another major PD. That's the rule for big city chiefs: Get run out of NYPD? That's okay, LAPD will offer you a job really soon. LAPD fires you? No worries, you'll have job offers in Philly, DC, Miami, and Boston. It's one of the reasons why big city PDs are usually shitty to work for.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    hahahahahahahahaha Before he became chief in Austin we had good gun shows, he worked with the city council to shut them down then moved to Houston and f'd that department up. The best part is that in Miami he can't pull the race card. hahahahahahahahaha

Not sure about his employment prospects being as he was fired after 6 months, hopefully he has to take a job in a real shithole.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 10-16-21 at 15:25.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    hahahahahahahahaha Before he became chief in Austin we had good gun shows, he worked with the city council to shut them down then moved to Houston and f'd that department up. The best part is that in Miami he can't pull the race card. hahahahahahahahaha

Not sure about his employment prospects being as he was fired after 6 months, hopefully he has to take a job in a real shithole.
    He was such a dick in Austin it was unbelievable. 6th street is a mess, Live Music has left downtown and the Homeless problem increased.
    When you cater to weirdo's that's what you get.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post

He's no doubt a top 5 candidate for dozens of the biggest cities in the country that are currently looking for a chief. He'll probably be a chief of a massive department again in only a matter of weeks.

The higher you get in the food chain, the less a terrible resume affects you, especially in law enforcement. If you get fired or forced to resign as a rookie because you didn't fit into the department, you may never work in the industry again; hell, they'll often make sure you don't work in any field outside of law enforcement ever again! Hell, I know people who were fired during field training who can barely get jobs at Walmart or McDonald's because their old departments have no problem telling all prospective employers that the ex-cop is too incompetent to be in the workforce at all!

If you're a chief and get fired or forced to resign from MULTIPLE departments after completely running them into the ground, you still will be on dozens of PDs' top 3 lists for chief.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    He's no doubt a top 5 candidate for dozens of the biggest cities in the country that are currently looking for a chief. He'll probably be a chief of a massive department again in only a matter of weeks.

The higher you get in the food chain, the less a terrible resume affects you, especially in law enforcement. If you get fired or forced to resign as a rookie because you didn't fit into the department, you may never work in the industry again; hell, they'll often make sure you don't work in any field outside of law enforcement ever again! Hell, I know people who were fired during field training who can barely get jobs at Walmart or McDonald's because their old departments have no problem telling all prospective employers that the ex-cop is too incompetent to be in the workforce at all!

If you're a chief and get fired or forced to resign from MULTIPLE departments after completely running them into the ground, you still will be on dozens of PDs' top 3 lists for chief.
    I gotta ask on the bad reference people you know, are they really incompetent or did they just not go along to get along and the bad reference is retaliation?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    I gotta ask on the bad reference people you know, are they really incompetent or did they just not go along to get along and the bad reference is retaliation?
    In the first case I'm thinking of, no it was not retaliation. I can't totally blame the PD for firing the woman I'm thinking of; I was in her academy class and she was painfully shy, terrible at making decisions under pressure, physically small and weak, and very thin skinned. She was nice, but I wondered what the hell she was thinking trying to be a cop. The thing was, she was book smart and so she scored very high on all the written tests, interviewed well, had a clean background, and, being a woman, she was highly sought after, so she got multiple offers after the academy. From my understanding, however, her FTO saw up front before they even got to the cruiser for the first shift that she was not cut out for law enforcement, so he made it his mission to wash her out. Now, even if he had been encouraging and trying to help her through training, I don't think she would have made it. But he had a seething contempt for her and so he wanted to make sure that she not not washed out, but that she did so with dishonor.

He just destroyed her for a month until she lost the little confidence that she had and couldn't complete any task, on the street or in the station. For the last straw, I guess there was a situation in which a drunk guy started resisting her FTO and she froze instead of stepping in. Now, that will get just about anybody fired, but I guess they pulled her in and told not only was she fired, but she was the most worthless human being they had ever met and they couldn't find one redeeming value about her performance. They said between her freezing up in emergencies AND her bad paperwork, they wouldn't recommend her for any job in any field at any level. According to another cop I know, who knew more about the situation, they told her to just be a stay at home mom, because she wasn't cut out for working. It took her a few years before she finally got hired to do what she did before she tried LE, which was administrative/secretarial work.

All I can say with this case is that, while she didn't belong in LE, she didn't deserve the abuse she got. Most of the people I know who've washed out were genuinely good people, but just weren't up to the task. Only one or two I've known washed out because they were dickheads.

There are others I know, including myself, who failed in field training but continued on at other agencies though.
    Last edited by BoringGuy45; 10-17-21 at 20:35.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast