Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Extractor

Feedback Score

Replacing Extractor

OK....don't bust my balls too much but I own a Remington R1 Hunter. It's a long slide 1911 in 10mm. The price was so low that I just said **** it and rolled the dice. And for the first 1,000 rounds it's been great. But last weekend my extractor broke. So my question is can a fairly competent hobbyist replace it himself? I've watched the videos and it looks pretty straightforward....and I have a spare. But the spare looks to be just a hair too long. Would it be OK to just file it down or should I buy a new extractor? I've never really done much work on my 1911s outside of changing the grips. Is there anything I need to be particularly careful of? My local gunsmith is just so backed up that I don't feel like letting it sit there for 3 months if this is an easy fix. I appreciate any feedback.

Stay safe

Heavyweight

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Try it and see if it works. If not, you can always go back to the way it was or buy another extractor from Remington. Either way, you lose nothing but a few minutes of time.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    It's a fairly simple replacement if you know what you're doing.

First, use a quality extractor; looks like Ed Brown offers a 10mm extractor that seems to be of good quality.
    Look at this detail on how a 1911 extractor should be modified-

http://thefirearmsforum.s3.amazonaws...74e7137e96.jpg
    Last edited by gaijin; 12-08-21 at 10:11.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Here's a tutorial as well: https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn...aspx?lid=10261

If you own a 1911 you should know how to replace and adjust extractors. Some simple file work and tensioning and you're back in business.

Feedback Score
    Solid advice....that Ed Brown extractor is $28.99 at MidwayUsa....might as well go with known quality rather than this mystery extractor from my parts kit. Thanks fellas.

Heavyweight

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If you can, please document your work a bit and let us know how it worked out. While the tutorial content seems simple enough, I'm curious on actual feedback pros/cons of doing oneself.

Feedback Score
    Will do

Feedback Score
    There are three major areas to be addressed when fitting an extractor:

• Geometry
    • Deflection
    • Tension

See this LINK for a detailed tutorial on how to correctly fit an extractor.

I use EGW extractors almost exclusively because of their metallurgy, extra "meat" in the right places to allow them to be fit to any slide, and their length from the firing pin stop slot to the claw. I use the Heavy Duty for my pistols and have used the GI for restoration work. Other folks report the same excellent results with the Practical.

You will need to make a simple width gauge to measure extractor deflection and you'll want a gauge to measure hook-to-breechface distance. Both of those are described at the link above.
    Last edited by Steve_in_Allentown; 12-09-21 at 10:02.

Feedback Score
    I bought bulletproof extractors from Wilson, and they worked right out of the package

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I’ve had good luck with Wilson’s BP as well.
    Saw some vid where Wilson explained that his BP extractors were fabricated with curvature/tension “built in” to the extractors.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast