Thread: Looking for feedback on the Browning AB3 or Savage Axis II

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Looking for feedback on the Browning AB3 or Savage Axis II

I haven’t had a bolt gun or been hunting for the past 20+ years. I’m thinking about both. I’m not looking for anything high end. I’ve been thinking about about these two. Both are available in a combo with scope included. The Browning comes with a better scope than the Savage. The AB3 is about as far as I want to go price wise $799. So if anyone has any time with either rifle, I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

Feedback Score
    I’m a Browning fan and really wanted to like the AB3. But be aware, it has a plastic trigger and NO stock bedding at all. It shoots well when new but over time the lack of any bedding will come back to haunt you. IMO, Browning went too cheap on this one.
    The axis has decent stock bedding. If you go Savage you have to get their Accu trigger as their standard trigger sucks.
    Have you looked at the Ruger American? The bolt operation can be stiff and gritty at first, requiring some break in but they have good bedding and I like their version of the Accu trigger better. Nobody complains about their accuracy.
    Or you could spend a little more money and get a Tikka. In my opinion, you have to spend a lot of money to get a rifle that is significantly better.
    Hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks! I’ll take a look at the Ruger. As far as the Tikka, I’m trying to stay under $800 for rifle and optic. This thing will probably only be used a couple times a year to hunt.

Feedback Score
    I hear you on cost. I’m not up on current pricing but look at Howa’s rifles before you buy something. They have some good value products.