Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for 200yrd spinner

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Tips for 200yrd spinner

Other than making sure my 50/200 zero is spot on at 200 what other tips do you have for this challenge? I've watched youtube vids on spinners, I've never shot at one. I'm using a 5.56 with 14.5" barrel and Federal XM193F 55 grain ammo.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Rifle spinners are tough at 100 yds, much less 200. Using 55gr ammo makes it even harder still.

Remember there will be a time lag between when you pull the trigger and when the bullet hits the target. Pull the trigger right when the spinner changes directions and just STARTS to swing backwards - don't wait until halfway through the swing or it will hit too late.

And bring plenty of ammo. Good luck!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt in TN View Post
    Rifle spinners are tough at 100 yds, much less 200. Using 55gr ammo makes it even harder still.

Remember there will be a time lag between when you pull the trigger and when the bullet hits the target. Pull the trigger right when the spinner changes directions and just STARTS to swing backwards - don't wait until halfway through the swing or it will hit too late.

And bring plenty of ammo. Good luck!
    Thanks man ! I just got back from assuring my 200yd zero on a 8" steel plate. It went well as long as I do my part...... This will be challenging.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Let us know how it goes!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt in TN View Post
    Let us know how it goes!
    It won't be for another month but will do. I was using a 2 moa aimpoint RD with 3x magnifier. Now upgraded to a 4x magnifier. Now back to the 200m/220yd range with some 8" plates for practice which will have to do since a spinner is not available.

Feedback Score
    I've shot many spinners in PRS matches, but always with precision bolt guns. Making hits with a precision bolt gun is much easier, as most precision rifles are shooting 1" groups at 200 yards. The trick is timing the shot based on the spin of the spinner plates, so I generally shoot as the largest bottom spinner plate is coming down, NOT when the plate is already at the bottom. Your shot time delay will depend on distance to target, and how fast the spinner is spinning, and with some practice, you will start to see when you need to brake your shot. Also, it's generally better to shoot the bigger bottom target, as it's heaver with more momentum, and you will usually get the spinner all the way around quicker.

I would assume 200 yards with a 14.5" AR with M193 would be tough, as most ARs are shooting 2-4 MOA with M193 ammo, vs .5 MOA with a precision gun. Also, a 55 gr .223 bullet is not going to move the spinner like a bigger 6mm, 6.5, or .30 cal bullet will, so it may take more hits. That being said, it's probably very possible to do with an AR, but will take some actual practice on a spinner. Hope that helps a little

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B Cart View Post
    I've shot many spinners in PRS matches, but always with precision bolt guns. Making hits with a precision bolt gun is much easier, as most precision rifles are shooting 1" groups at 200 yards. The trick is timing the shot based on the spin of the spinner plates, so I generally shoot as the largest bottom spinner plate is coming down, NOT when the plate is already at the bottom. Your shot time delay will depend on distance to target, and how fast the spinner is spinning, and with some practice, you will start to see when you need to brake your shot. Also, it's generally better to shoot the bigger bottom target, as it's heaver with more momentum, and you will usually get the spinner all the way around quicker.

I would assume 200 yards with a 14.5" AR with M193 would be tough, as most ARs are shooting 2-4 MOA with M193 ammo, vs .5 MOA with a precision gun. Also, a 55 gr .223 bullet is not going to move the spinner like a bigger 6mm, 6.5, or .30 cal bullet will, so it may take more hits. That being said, it's probably very possible to do with an AR, but will take some actual practice on a spinner. Hope that helps a little
    Thanks, that does help and thanks also for refraining from telling me to get a different rifle, cartridge and optic. So you focus on shooting the bottom only? Do you ever target the upper plate?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks, that does help and thanks also for refraining from telling me to get a different rifle, cartridge and optic. So you focus on shooting the bottom only? Do you ever target the upper plate?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    Shooting bottom only is probably the easiest way to spin it for most people, however, if you are fast enough and accurate enough, you can shoot bottom then top and keep rotating, as long as you don't wait too long between shots, to keep the momentum going. Spinners are really fun and a great way to practice accuracy and speed. Let us know how you do with the 5.56 when you get a chance to shoot it!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Shooting bottom only is probably the easiest way to spin it for most people, however, if you are fast enough and accurate enough, you can shoot bottom then top and keep rotating, as long as you don't wait too long between shots, to keep the momentum going. Spinners are really fun and a great way to practice accuracy and speed. Let us know how you do with the 5.56 when you get a chance to shoot it!
    Will do, it should be fun and I am really looking forward to it. I am thinking that a good strategy for me is to shoot the top plate while still, since it is the smallest, then focus on the bottom, once it's swinging, because of it's larger size.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast