Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Dune 2021

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Hearing from younger kids they like it, hearing from older fans of the books, not so much. Talked to one more excited about the Babylon 5 reboot
    Last edited by titsonritz; 10-25-21 at 02:43.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Hearing from younger kids they like it, hearing from older fans of the books, not so much. Talked to one more excited about the Babylon 5 reboot
    Older fan of the book here. I read it at least 4 times between high school and my 20s (I'm in my 50s now). I saw the movie last night and I thought it was fantastic. The storyline/character development did feel a bit rushed after the fact, but I feel like the inner essence of the book is still there. I loved it and will probably watch it again.

Feedback Score
    Part two was greenlight. Supposedly October 2023
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I make rare exceptions to go to a theater to see movies these days, but I knew Dune had to be one of them. As as huge fan of the book, who read it more times than I can remember as a kid into young adult, I was looking forward to this movie ever since hearing of it being in development years ago. As director Denis Villeneuve did an excellent job with the follow up to the most iconic SF movie of all time (Bladed Runner -> Blade Runner 2049), My hopes were further enhanced.

Considering what he faced with such a book as Dune, Villeneuve, really had his work cut out for him with this project. The movie adaptation does a commendable job of making all attempts to follow the book's essential plot lines, but is unable to really develop the characters. It relies heavily on people having read Dune to know much about them, and it still makes it difficult to care much about them regardless. The acting is solid, the visuals are impressive, stunning in some scenes, but overall, it just falls flat in its ability to really draw the viewer into it.

I also think this movie would have been more impactful using relative unknown/unknown actors, as you're keenly aware you're watching Jason Momoa as Duncan Idaho, Josh Brolin as Gurney Halleck and Dave Bautista as Beast Rabban Harkonnen, and it distracts heavily. I will add however that Dave Bautista can really act and has shown in this movie, as well as 2049, he's got legit acting chops and not just some ex wrestler type who has to be in super hero movies with limited dialogue.

While I understand that the use of known names helps sell tickets, and no doubt some of them wanted to be part of that epic project for adapting the best known and loved SF book of all time, it does not help this movie. It kept preventing me from really being absorbed into the story.

This is not a bad movie by any means, in fact, it's a must see for anyone who read Dune and or enjoys SF movies made for adults not based on yet more super heroes. I wil of course see Part II without hesitation. I would say a read of Dune is a must to actually understand and appreciate this movie, and Villeneuve may be depending too heavily on that reality.

What Villeneuve has proven in this adaptation of Dune (which is superior to the last film attempt...) is that Dune may be impossible to fully capture perfectly as a film adaption without it being a full series perhaps. Or, perhaps it's just one of those books that can't translated well to film due to the complexities and nuances of the written word. B+/A-
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I make rare exceptions to go to a theater to see movies these days, but I knew Dune had to be one of them. As as huge fan of the book, who read it more times than I can remember as a kid into young adult, I was looking forward to this movie ever since hearing of it being in development years ago. As director Denis Villeneuve did an excellent job with the follow up to the most iconic SF movie of all time (Bladed Runner -> Blade Runner 2049), My hopes were further enhanced.

Considering what he faced with such a book as Dune, Villeneuve, really had his work cut out for him with this project. The movie adaptation does a commendable job of making all attempts to follow the book's essential plot lines, but is unable to really develop the characters. It relies heavily on people having read Dune to know much about them, and it still makes it difficult to care much about them regardless. The acting is solid, the visuals are impressive, stunning in some scenes, but overall, it just falls flat in its ability to really draw the viewer into it.

I also think this movie would have been more impactful using relative unknown/unknown actors, as you're keenly aware you're watching Jason Momoa as Duncan Idaho, Josh Brolin as Gurney Halleck and Dave Bautista as Beast Rabban Harkonnen, and it distracts heavily. I will add however that Dave Bautista can really act and has shown in this movie, as well as 2049, he's got legit acting chops and not just some ex wrestler type who has to be in super hero movies with limited dialogue.

While I understand that the use of known names helps sell tickets, and no doubt some of them wanted to be part of that epic project for adapting the best known and loved SF book of all time, it does not help this movie. It kept preventing me from really being absorbed into the story.

This is not a bad movie by any means, in fact, it's a must see for anyone who read Dune and or enjoys SF movies made for adults not based on yet more super heroes. I wil of course see Part II without hesitation. I would say a read of Dune is a must to actually understand and appreciate this movie, and Villeneuve may be depending too heavily on that reality.

What Villeneuve has proven in this adaptation of Dune (which is superior to the last film attempt...) is that Dune may be impossible to fully capture perfectly as a film adaption without it being a full series perhaps. Or, perhaps it's just one of those books that can't translated well to film due to the complexities and nuances of the written word. B+/A-
    Exactly this. Except I give it a C+/B-, mostly because of expectations.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Exactly this. Except I give it a C+/B-, mostly because of expectations.
    Blade Runner 2049 is a movie you have to see more than once to fully appreciate, and it only gets better with additional viewings. While I will watch this one again when it hits rental, I don't expect it be similar to 2049 in that respect.

Seeing Dune having not read the book would be a waste of time.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Blade Runner 2049 is a movie you have to see more than once to fully appreciate, and it only gets better with additional viewings. While I will watch this one again when it hits rental, I don't expect it be similar to 2049 in that respect.

Seeing Dune having not read the book would be a waste of time.
    Have watched it twice already, Blade Runner 2049 that is, and I agree that it's excellent. But I'm a fan of quality sci-fi with immersive universes.

2 relatively recent shows that gave really grabbed my attention and imagination are The Expanse and Foundation.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Have watched it twice already, Blade Runner 2049 that is, and I agree that it's excellent. But I'm a fan of quality sci-fi with immersive universes.

2 relatively recent shows that gave really grabbed my attention and imagination are The Expanse and Foundation.
    I found 2049 even better on 3d and 4th viewings. The Expanse is the best SF series of all time and I reviewed here each season. I was not a big Asimov fan personally and don't have Apple TV, so not seen it. To me, Asimov was ok, kinda milk toast SF to mr. I like "hard" SF such as Larry Niven etc. I will say I have been far more engrossed in The Expanse than I was in Dune.

If/when Foundation makes it to NF etc, will check it out no doubt.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Was nice to watch it with my 5 y/o and not have to worry about gorey scenes and cussing. He was doing other stuff while it played so I will have to watch it again with more attention but a pleasant change of pace from the cartoons and super hero movies that are normally playing.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Watched it last night with my wife and we both really enjoyed it.
    She is 33 years old and had never seen nor read anything Dune prior to watching. She liked everything about it, but said that it reminded her of Game of Thrones in space lol.
    RLTW
    Danger Close Knows No Atheists.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast