Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what lb recoil spring for 1911 in 9mm ?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

what lb recoil spring for 1911 in 9mm ?

Was thinking about changing out my 9mm recoils springs, what lb is standard?

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    For my Springfield Armory Loaded, I use 11lb flat wire spring for 115gr plinking ammo and 13lb for 124gr or defensive ammo with a 19lb mainspring and radiused firing pin stop.

I think it came from the factory with a 9lb recoil spring and 23lb mainspring, but it wouldn’t feed reliably after 150 rounds or so.
    Last edited by crosseyedshooter; 10-22-21 at 01:16.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    If you have stock MS and are shooting “Range Ammo”, an 11#/12# should run fine PB.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    . . . 9mm recoils springs, what lb is standard?
    The factory standard weight recoil spring for 5" 1911s chambered in 9mm is 14lbs but that is very dependent on the ammo used and the fit of the pistol. As an example, I have a tightly fit (Acc-u-rails) 5" 1911 that will not run wimpy factory 115gr FMJ ammo unless it has a 9lb recoil spring, a 16lb mainspring (hammer spring), and a radically profiled firing pin stop. You may want to get an assortment of recoil springs and mainsprings to test to determine which combination works best for your pistol and your ammo.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    If you have stock MS and are shooting “Range Ammo”, an 11#/12# should run fine PB.
    What if I run range 147's ? I have some Wilson 12.5's

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

PB
    They should work. For minor PF 147's in my DW PM-9, I run an 11# recoil with a 19# mainspring and minimally radiused firing pin stop. When I was competing Matt Mink was running a 10# spring in his, but I found it to be a bit too flippy.

If I'm running full power ammo I'll step up to 13-14#, so you could say the Wilson 12.5's are in the middle of the range. Probably not the best for tailored loads but will run more variety of ammo without failures.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    That is what reigns supreme for me. Reliability. The 1911 9mm is so soft to start with IÂ’m good.

Feedback Score
    My suggestion is not to get hung up on identifying a specific spring combination. Each pistol is different. Each shooter is different. Springs are cheap.

Get a range of recoil and hammer springs in 2lb increments and experiment until you find what's right for you, the pistol, and the ammo. Keep in mind that you're not going to hurt the pistol. For example, you could get 10, 12, and 14lb recoil springs as well as 17, 19, and 21lb hammer springs. That'll cost somewhere around $36 and give you spring combinations that will probably work for any ammo you want to put through the pistol.

Go to the Wolff Gunsprings website that I linked to in my post above to view all the available spring weights.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Assuming you have stock MS, a 12# should be fine with 147's.
    Try your 12.5# Wilson. if it chokes, try an 11#.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    My Legion P320 X5 uses 1911 springs which is smart. I had a 12 and 13 lb spring to change out. I put in the 13lb having no idea. My question, assuming all other springs are stock. 1911 or X5, Does a heavier spring give more of a range of ammo that could be used, or a lighter. I went down this rabbit hole once before but educate me on the implications of a 12 vs 13 ...lb recoil springs if it can be boiled down to a generalizations. Is the goal to use the heaviest spring possible that it will cycle resulting in softest shooting gun????

PB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast