Thread: Tavor SAR vs ARs (Suppressor Considerations)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Tavor SAR vs ARs (Suppressor Considerations)

So, I’m a few months shy of my three suppressor stamps coming back… and have been looking at thinning out some of my guns. Started with the easy ones; pistols I don’t/won’t shoot. But I’m now at a point where I want to hear from other shooters and get some extra data to weigh my next decision.

I have a Tavor SAR, which I picked up in NJ just after Trump winning the election. 16.5” barrel, Aimpoint PRO, Geissele trigger bow/pack, folding charging handle, MI ejection port cover, and Surefire Scout with pressure switch. Always shot well, and after I moved to ME, I had the pinned brake pulled off… which now has a Griffin Mini Flash Hider (Taper mount, to use my Bushwhacker 46). I liked it for having the 16” barrel in a 26” package… and felt adding a suppressor would make it manageable than a traditional rifle with a similar barrel length. Zero shots suppressed, mind you.

I’m regards to ARs, I have 7… 5.56mm unless specified different.

-16” piston
    -11.5” piston, pistol (truck gun)
    -11.5” D/I, pistol (based it off a Colt 733… I liked Heat )
    -9mm pistol, Glock magazines since I’m issued a Glock 19
    -16” D/I, built off a KE Arms polymer lower
    -.45 ACP D/I, Macon Armory magazines, which I plan to SBR in the near future
    -what will be a 20” D/I… whenever I buy an upper for it (leaning towards one of those PSA uppers with the FN barrel… then adding a decent BGC), and would run a 1-6x LPVO.

And that isn’t getting into other similar weapons… like my PSA AK-P or TAC-14, for example. Figured looking at 5.56mm guns would be more appropriate.

Now, I like the Tavor for the compatibility with AR magazines. Didn’t have to buy different magazines for it, and if I sell it, not sitting on a bunch of magazines that don’t work in my ARs. But shy of the longer barrel/short package… I really don’t see any added benefit over the AR. I get that I have pistols to get to that short OAL (I built them as pistols, because of ME law regarding pistols in a vehicle), and if AFT comes down on braces… I’d probably SBR all of them just for the point of it.

The Tavor is a much heavier gun, even though it got the balance right. Stock trigger was terrible, and I had to spend a lot to get the trigger on par with the ARs (which it now is). I’m not a huge drum guy (have two; D60 and Romanian AK drum), but the position of the magazine would make it a pain to run it. 40s would also be a little awkward, especially prone. Can’t say anything about reliability, being the Israelis do know how to build a gun.

The can for the 5.56mm guns would be the Griffin Bushwhacker 46 (other two are .22 and 9mm). I’d probably get the .22 and .30 end caps for it, and possibly reduce some of the sound (judging alignment). Figured the larger bore/end caps would reduce back-pressure a tad… which I’ve seen a few complaints of the Tavor on. The piston ARs… all are Adams Arms, so can adjust the piston for suppressors. The D/I guns… glasses (which would be present on the the other guns, anyway). OAL… my truck gun would be similar to the Tavor (minus 5” of barrel), even with the suppressor… and it likely would have the can on it most of the time.

If I sold the Tavor, I’d probably just pull the Aimpoint off… and likely buy another AR (leaning towards a Colt 6920). Any extra money would go to additional suppressor accessories (A2 mount for the guns with the birdcage, etc). I’m not going to feel terrible if the Tavor goes, but rather the best tool for the job… especially when looking at $2,000+ rifle.

Just wanted to get input from those who may have ran a suppressed Tavor… or even one of the other bullpups… to see what their views are. Any comparisons to ARs (SBR or 16+”) are also welcome. Only thing that sucks is winter is coming, and I won’t be able to likely hit the range with the suppressors until the spring (unless we qualify after I get them in hand). I feel if the Tavor isn’t that suppressor friendly… I lost the bigger reason to keep it.

Thanks for your time.

Feedback Score
    I have run my X95 suppressed for awhile now, with an old school AAC M4-2000. Zero issues, although it does seem over gassed. Shooting support side with the ejection port right in front of your face, lots of gas. However I dig the platform, its shorter with the can on than my 12.5 inch AR.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    My Tavor SAR was overgassed, even with the manticore arms gasketed ejection port cover. You could get through it, but it was rough. Lots of teary eyes after string drills and such. I have heard the X95 is a little better about it. It functions perfectly fine, just more gas to face.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    My Tavor SAR was overgassed, even with the manticore arms gasketed ejection port cover. You could get through it, but it was rough. Lots of teary eyes after string drills and such. I have heard the X95 is a little better about it. It functions perfectly fine, just more gas to face.
    Did the MA ejection port cover help at all to reduce gas to your face? I'm considering getting one for my X95.

Regards