Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The CZ-97

Feedback Score

The CZ-97

I was watching a "Forgotten Weapons" episode from 2018 on the history of the CZ-97 .45 handgun. Ian related that this particular gun (at that time) seemed to be a slow seller for CZ and he speculated that it might be discontinued in the near future. And compared to, say, the Glock 21, the CZ is more expensive and has a 10 round mag vs. the Glock's 13 rounder.

Three years later the CZ-97 seems to still be in production and selling at least reasonably well. Currently the ones I've seen are in the $800+ range. It's a heavy, bulky gun that isn't cut out for concealed carry but on the plus side it looks to be well made and accurate. I've handled one once and it seemed a solid weapon.

Would a person be better served by a Glock, FN, etc. product for a non-1911 .45 considering the CZ's price point and mag capacity, or is the CZ-97 worth it?

Feedback Score
    As you said it isn’t exactly a concealed carry pistol. It is one of the most accurate out of the box pistols I’ve owned.

Depends on what use you have planned for it but I would have to say the 97 is worth every penny of the cost.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JDH1 View Post
    As you said it isn’t exactly a concealed carry pistol. It is one of the most accurate out of the box pistols I’ve owned.

Depends on what use you have planned for it but I would have to say the 97 is worth every penny of the cost.
    JDH is right, my polymer CZ's are just fantastic in handling and accuracy, but my metal framed ones are a whole different level of comfort, shoot ability and accuracy. Heavy which accounts for the shoot ability and comfort, so tough to carry all day.

Just realized I don't have a 97, so the search begins....

Feedback Score
    After a bit of research, seems that CZ-97B's are available with wood grips which I think look pretty sharp. This configuration is their "California Approved" gun, which has the wood grips, standard sights, and a "nub extractor" (whatever that is). Their other 'B" model seems to have synthetic grips and a fiber optic front sight. Then there's the "BD" version with a decocker.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Everything is selling reasonably well now. "Looks" well made isn't something im willing to spend money on because I can't get it back if "looks" don't pan out. I'm sure it is but why? If I can get more for less?

Cali is its own thing an logic doesn't play into it

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    A Glock 21 is an exceptionally accurate, and quite underrated (in my opinion) .45. I consider it one of the best duty grade full size .45s that was ever built. The G21, along with the HK USP, 1911, and S&W 4506.

I would take a G21 over the CZ, in spite of being a CZ fan.
    THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Feedback Score
    One of the shortfalls of the CZ97 may be lack of a light rail. It appears there are bolt-on rails available that could be installed by a good smith or at least someone with more skill than I have.

I have been considering a .45 for home defense and I’ve looked at the CZ97 but I think I’d lean more to a Sig P220. I don’t like Glocks, but an M&P full-size 45 might be a good choice in polymer.

Feedback Score
    I have one that was relatively early production.

It is very accurate.

I've only put hardball through it. It feeds -nearly- anything but the way the gun cycles, the nose of the cartridge takes a brief forward dip before coming back up and engaging the feed ramp. If the ammo was at a certain overall length, it would occasionally misfeed with the bullet nosediving into the bottom of the feed ramp. It's a problem that tap/rack doesn't solve; the magazine has to be pulled from the gun. I do not know if this length sensitivity is unique to my sample. Perhaps other owners can comment.

After about 3000 rounds, the barrel lug sheared. CZ replaced the barrel and bushing.
    I suspect the factory recoil spring was too light and led to the failure. So, after talking to the local gunsmith, he found an appropriate weight/size spring.
    The stronger spring didn't immediately work, due to the original stubby guide rod. Before I could get the slide assembly back on the frame, the spring would expand out below the slide and become unseated, preventing reassembly. I substituted a longer guide rod and everything worked again.

Later on, the firing pin failed. The gun continued to run like a champ though. I found the broken pin when I was cleaning it.
    Also not a difficult repair.

Based on the above, I'm not going to consider mine as a go-to pistol, though at this point it may be fine.

Feedback Score
    CZ is heavy but a very nice shooter! I wouldn’t carry it concealed.

Another good non-1911 .45 is the XDm. I know they are not well liked on this board but the reality is they are outstanding striker fired guns and completely reliable. Less mods than a G21 but every bit as accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I’ve been wanting one for years, because I like .45 and have a dozen 1911s, mostly Colts and a Sig P220 and the CZ would be a nice addition. I missed two NIB in the last few years. I’ll find one eventually.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast