Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How often do you find your magazine released?

Feedback Score

How often do you find your magazine released?

This will happen to everyone eventually who carries.

I recently got a new all-kydex holster and twice now in a few weeks I've found the magazine released. (Sticking out of the magwell 1/4 in)

I think it happens while driving or putting on seat belt. It's a little unnerving.

Very often we see videos of gunfights where a person has a malfunction after the first shot. A released magazine is one of the common causes.

Many years ago this happened to me with a Glock 27. Went out to dinner and when leaving the house the next morning mag was missing. Found it in the car. Did it fall out before or after dinner? I'll never know.

- Carry a gun that will fire with no mag
    - The first shot may be the only shot you get
    - Tap-rack when you get a click not a bang
    - Carry an extra mag

I know. Revolvers dont have this problem. 🙂

So, how often has this happened to you?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    If it happens more than once change your holster.

Your other recommendations are spot on.

I have a tertiary .380 where the mag would come out occasionally so I redid the kydex pocket holster to prevent the mag release being able to be pressed.

I did forget a mag once when switching between extended and flush. Was happy I carried a spare mag and did have one in the chamber... Have also made fun of guys running around a Help call with an empty gun when they had ran out of the jail to help and just grabbed their unloaded guns from the lockers . I eventually decided to keep mine loaded in the lockers after that.

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Proper holster design should eliminate this.
    Never had it happen.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Been carrying every single day, personally and professionally, for the last decade. Never once had this happen.

Check out a quality holster MFG, I like LAS Concealment and Tenicor.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    If it happens more than once change your holster.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    I keep trying other holsters but always end up back to a Hybrid-style.

This holster was made by PJHolsters.com.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I’ve been carrying for the last couple decades and have never had it happen. I use all leather and hybrid holsters. I’ve never tried a full Kydex holster, but doubt the material is causing the problem.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    This will happen to everyone eventually who carries.

So, how often has this happened to you?
    Incorrect, your experience does not extend to everyone else.

Been carrying concealed for 15 years, carry daily and never had this problem once. I run comp-tac holsters and hk pistols.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    From using them for thousands of rounds with all types of factory 9mm ammo, I do not think the Shield Arms S15 Gen 1 and Gen 2 mags are not quite as reliable in function as the 10 round factory OEM mags. Besides that, the main reason I do not use them anymore, is because at least in my G43X using the Shield Arms steel mag release, it takes *very little mag release travel and very little pressure to release the mags, and I have had two accidental mag releases with them while carrying the pistol holstered. So for ** me** the SA15 mags were close but no cigar. I have since dumped the the SA15 mags and the G43X and now carry a S&W Shield Plus that I am completely satisfied with. YMMV, but I would most definitely try the mags and release before I would buy them if possible, as Glock grip frames dimensions can and do very a little from gun to gun.
    Last edited by Biggy; 10-23-21 at 12:50.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I definitely think a new holster is called for. This has not happened to me carrying concealed or open with any handguns, though a friend of mine lost an M9 magazine out of a duty holster in Iraq, sitting in an office chair in a TOC, with an issued safairland holster. I have dropped a mag on an M4, though, slung with kit. The other issue I had was a big ambi safety on a Kimber 1911 getting clicked off buckling a seat belt. I rarely carry a 1911 anymore but when I do I stick with a GI style thumb safety.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

How often do you find your magazine released?

I too have never had this problem. Its your equipment.

My carry is usually an HK with the paddle release which probably makes a difference as well.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 10-26-21 at 20:59.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast