Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How often do you find your magazine released?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Whelp, I'm really surprised that people who have carried a gun daily up against their body for decades have NEVER had the mag release bumped / pressed inadvertently to release the magazine.
    I take such things with a grain of salt simply because we don't all have the same circumstances of carry.

I spent a good portion of my life working with student officers on the range, routinely telling them 'I'm gonna get the mag from your (holstered) pistol' and doing so. If I could reach in and depress the mag release to do, which most holsters allowed, it follows that an object might do the same thing.

In your case, this sounds like a routine occurance with the holster, so I'd try to figure out what is the cause and get a new holster.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 10-24-21 at 19:01.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Maybe they are using a late apex which gives them more speed out of the turn.
    Okay, way out from ANY apex! Early, mid, late, or double. 😬🤡
    Last edited by Ron3; 10-24-21 at 19:34.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post

In your case, this sounds like a routine occurance with the holster, so I'd try to figure out what is the cause and get a new holster.
    Yea, I'm done with that holster.

Reminds me of my short trial with Beretta 92FS Compact. The 2nd time the safety had engaged itself (bumped against something) that was that.

And then a few months later Beretta released a retro-G kit to make it decock only. After I'd sold the gun. Doh!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TBAR_94 View Post
    I definitely think a new holster is called for. This has not happened to me carrying concealed or open with any handguns, though a friend of mine lost an M9 magazine out of a duty holster in Iraq, sitting in an office chair in a TOC, with an issued safairland holster. I have dropped a mag on an M4, though, slung with kit. The other issue I had was a big ambi safety on a Kimber 1911 getting clicked off buckling a seat belt. I rarely carry a 1911 anymore but when I do I stick with a GI style thumb safety.
    Damn,

Being temporarily without a magazine in the TOC... I am surprised someone didn't get put in for PTSD over that.

Of course it would not be unreasonable (based on years of observation of such things) to think that your friend probably was wearing his issued Safariland slung so low that the arm rest of the chair hit the mag release button. For some reason, it seems/seemed fashionable to wear drop leg holsters as drop "knee" holsters. I saw more Big Army dudes wearing holsters so low that they had to bend sideways to draw their pistols. There seemed to be this prevailing thought that the lower your wore your pistol, the cooler, and more "Gunslinger" you looked.

I cannot tell you how many times when units would show up on a range we were using, we would end up giving some pointers. Quite frankly I was very glad to do this as Big Army handgun training exceptionally poor based on the marksmanship and gun handling I have seen. Spending a little time and a few boxes of ammo with some younger guys (and gals) who were genuinely interested in improving their skill sets was a nice deal quite frankly and was one of the few things I really enjoyed about interacting with younger fresh troops. One of the first things we would un-FUBAR was the way they were wearing their holsters. It only needs to clear your body armor. You should be able to stand with your hand relaxed/hanging naturally at your sides and have a full firing grip on your pistol. If you cannot, it is too low.

I was issued a Glock and wore a Safariland for 13 fun filled rotations and never had an issue with it. But they need to be worn properly.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I've carried on duty, off duty for a very long time, never had this issue. Carried concealed IWB, OWB, "Mexican" with various guns.

I will say this and not that it may be the cause of your problem-why in the blank do people obsess over having this whiz bang and wazoo "competition" or "tactical" mag release buttons? Over sized ones that have zero issues on carry guns or even duty guns in my opinion. The priority is keeping the rounds on board verses how fast can I get to the second one. Learn to shoot the dang gun and work the equipment. I recall back in the day folks would put .45/10mm mag catches in the 17/19 to be "fast"
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Damn,

Being temporarily without a magazine in the TOC... I am surprised someone didn't get put in for PTSD over that.

Of course it would not be unreasonable (based on years of observation of such things) to think that your friend probably was wearing his issued Safariland slung so low that the arm rest of the chair hit the mag release button. For some reason, it seems/seemed fashionable to wear drop leg holsters as drop "knee" holsters. I saw more Big Army dudes wearing holsters so low that they had to bend sideways to draw their pistols. There seemed to be this prevailing thought that the lower your wore your pistol, the cooler, and more "Gunslinger" you looked.

I cannot tell you how many times when units would show up on a range we were using, we would end up giving some pointers. Quite frankly I was very glad to do this as Big Army handgun training exceptionally poor based on the marksmanship and gun handling I have seen. Spending a little time and a few boxes of ammo with some younger guys (and gals) who were genuinely interested in improving their skill sets was a nice deal quite frankly and was one of the few things I really enjoyed about interacting with younger fresh troops. One of the first things we would un-FUBAR was the way they were wearing their holsters. It only needs to clear your body armor. You should be able to stand with your hand relaxed/hanging naturally at your sides and have a full firing grip on your pistol. If you cannot, it is too low.

I was issued a Glock and wore a Safariland for 13 fun filled rotations and never had an issue with it. But they need to be worn properly.

I always thought the purpose of doing the side bends in PT was to practice getting to my "rig"?
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Never. Been carrying since 2001 and daily for over a decade. In the beginning had terrible holsters. Currently use hybrid like Galco King Tuck. I have used all kydex and all leather like Galco Summer Comfort but never had a mag released

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Arik; 10-25-21 at 08:49.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    I've carried on duty, off duty for a very long time, never had this issue. Carried concealed IWB, OWB, "Mexican" with various guns.

I will say this and not that it may be the cause of your problem-why in the blank do people obsess over having this whiz bang and wazoo "competition" or "tactical" mag release buttons? Over sized ones that have zero issues on carry guns or even duty guns in my opinion. The priority is keeping the rounds on board verses how fast can I get to the second one. Learn to shoot the dang gun and work the equipment. I recall back in the day folks would put .45/10mm mag catches in the 17/19 to be "fast"
    I had a cop buddy that in the 90s wanted to emulate what I was doing, carrying a 1911, shooting USPSA with one, etc. I told him to just do basic reliability things, no oversized ABC, etc. He bought this 80S Colt, and gave it and a number of parts to the same gunsmith I used. He wanted bolt on mods, not willing to go full custom. He ended up with a basic single stack that was very reliable but had some silly stuff on it including oversized controls that were 90s "tactical".

Being the type he is, he eventually ran into money problems and sold the Colt to my dad for about what he had in parts and smithing. I ended up with it a while back. I got rid of the "group gripper" guide rod and the "tactical" mag release button. You can see the threaded original Colt mag release in this pic. The thumb safety on the left side has actually been thinned down from its original size which was significantly larger.

Stripped down to more of its basic form, it is a solid old Colt, but I shake my head at some of the stuff some guys put on their guns.

When I picked up a L Baer 1911 years back, it came with a HUGE boat paddle of an ambi thumb safety. One of the things I did when I saved up a bit more to finally have it customized to my personal tastes and uses was to replace the monster ambi skis that it was wearing with an old style, single sided Colt thumb safety. I don't think that in owning, shooting, competing, using for duty, etc, 1911s for 30+ years I have ever missed a standard safety on a draw.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Been carrying both IWB/OWB Glock's, Kahr's, CZ's and a few others and never had this happen. Looking at my current IWB and OWB setup for my Glocks and CZ's, I can't even understand how this could happen unless I got caught in an elevator door or leveraged in an open back chair? Are you sure the mag was seated when you left the house?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I had it happen on two firearms, Para P-14, the mag release pretrudes beyond the grip, even set it mag release down on a hard surface would drop the mag, had it jump a couple times from a shoulder holsters. The other was a NAA .32 Guardian during pocket carry. I learned my lesson and now appreciate the Euro style mag release for pocket autos. Those guns have been gone for almost 20 years and I haven't had the problem since.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast