Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: How often do you find your magazine released?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    This thread is a good reminder for everyone about how dangerous confirmation bias can be. If bad things are happening with your guns, gear, and performance, don't assume they are happening to everyone. Find ways to fix them immediately.
    Normalization of deviance may be more pertinent. The phrase entered common usage after the Space Shuttle disaster(s) I believe.
    Last edited by Disciple; 11-05-21 at 14:39.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It happens. Early in G43 ankle carry, I had mags pop free on presentation. Hand size, gun size, angle when acquiring master grip, and speed combined to the negative. ID things that need to change and work it.

Seen also with combinations of shooter riding the release, worn mag release spring, release too prominent for carry location, unprotected mag release at holster.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I can't recall that ever happening, not a once. Sounds like something specific to the mode of CCW perhaps.
    Yes.

I think it was aggravated when the holster was closer to 3 O'clock and the gun was pressured against my hip.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Normalization of deviance may be more pertinent. The phrase entered common usage after the Space Shuttle disaster(s) I believe.
    "Normalization of Deviance" is how my wife describes our love-life. Now I know where the phrase came from! 😆😆

Feedback Score
    I’ve had it happen twice. I’ve also noticed that the magazines were fully loaded as well…Gen 3 G17 in a Safariland. No oversized anything.

We were running drills and doing some combative, close quarters, etc. At the end we did a course of fire with some obstacles thrown in, as well as carrying heavy things from point A to point B, as well as getting in and out of a vehicle.

I drew my pistol on transition and got one shot. Tap-rack-bang fixed it. Then later it happened again. Turns out it was compressing then holster against the mag release button when pressed next to the seatbelt. I decided to load the mags to 17 and not use a Barney the rest of the training. It never happened again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mRad View Post
    I’ve had it happen twice. I’ve also noticed that the magazines were fully loaded as well…Gen 3 G17 in a Safariland. No oversized anything.

We were running drills and doing some combative, close quarters, etc. At the end we did a course of fire with some obstacles thrown in, as well as carrying heavy things from point A to point B, as well as getting in and out of a vehicle.

I drew my pistol on transition and got one shot. Tap-rack-bang fixed it. Then later it happened again. Turns out it was compressing then holster against the mag release button when pressed next to the seatbelt. I decided to load the mags to 17 and not use a Barney the rest of the training. It never happened again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When a full magazine is really tight in the pistol I'll download one, too.

That pressure can only increase the odds of a malfunction after the first shot. Or a mag release issue as in your case. Shot #2 is more important than shot #15.

For example, 14 rounds in my M&P 2.0 .45 is really tight, so I just leave it at 13+1.

Feedback Score
    I have a Keltec P32 that would also pop the mag in the pocket while in a holster.

I no longer carry that gun but the fix was filling the mag release button by about 30% and a firmer holster.

I do pocket a Beretta M21 .25 and the combination of its mag release button location and kydex holster keeps the mag from being accidentally released.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    From using them for thousands of rounds with all types of factory 9mm ammo, I do not think the Shield Arms S15 Gen 1 and Gen 2 mags are not quite as reliable in function as the 10 round factory OEM mags. Besides that, the main reason I do not use them anymore, is because at least in my G43X using the Shield Arms steel mag release, it takes *very little mag release travel and very little pressure to release the mags, and I have had two accidental mag releases with them while carrying the pistol holstered. So for ** me** the SA15 mags were close but no cigar. I have since dumped the the SA15 mags and the G43X and now carry a S&W Shield Plus that I am completely satisfied with. YMMV, but I would most definitely try the mags and release before I would buy them if possible, as Glock grip frames dimensions can and do very a little from gun to gun.

I've had the exact same thing happen. 43x with Shield Arms mag release and Mags. Tenicor holster. Has happened twice to me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    Been carrying every single day, personally and professionally, for the last decade. Never once had this happen.

Check out a quality holster MFG, I like LAS Concealment and Tenicor.
    yeah, I'm a retired police officer. Carried on patrol for over 20, SWAT for 10, and off duty/civilian life for 23. NEVER had it happen.

Check that holster, bro. You using extended mag releases?
    "It is only the warrior who chooses pacifism. All others are condemned to it."

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."
    Dangerous Freedom over Peaceful Slavery.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I had it happen twice with a G19 with stock mag release in a cheap holster. I no longer have that holser.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast