Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got a 686 no dash.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Got a 686 no dash.

A buddy recently put up a no dash 686 for sale and I picked it up yesterday. It has some very minor blemishes next to the cylinder release and the stocks are obviously not new, but otherwise it's in great shape. Im more a shooter than collector so this thing is in basically pristine shape as far as Im concerned. It has a AAB serial which from what I can tell puts it in the 80-81 production timeframe. It does have the M stamp so it was retrofitted with the hammer and bushing upgrades.

Ive shot multiple 686 guns in the past but have never actually owned one. Ive said before that a 686 is probably what I would choose for a "only gun" type of scenario and now I have one. Im excited.

20211022_202514 by chase, on Flickr

20211022_202531 by chase, on Flickr

20211022_202556 by chase, on Flickr
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Looks awesome! Bet its a tackdriver.

Hope you get to shoot it often. They don't really make them like that anymore.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    4” L frame, pre lock/MIM? What’s not to like??
    Nice acquisition.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    "An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age." It looks wonderful, enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Just a quick story on my 686 experience, Ive shared here before.
    Got out of boot camp in Jan of '84...hit the gunshop and bought me a 686.
    Get home, go out back, load her up..gun would shoot no more than twice, three times then lock up tighter than Dicks hatband.
    Back to gunshop..explain everything, get another.
    Go out back, load her up, same damn thing.
    Back to gunshop..this time they thought I was up to something. I told them it locks up after two or three shots and you cant hardly open the cylinder.
    They very reluctantly gave me a third gun, with the warning "now thats it".
    Go home, go out back, load her up...BAM X 6. Finally got one that worked. Shot the piss outta that gun for many years..its the gun I learned how to stroke a double action revolver on.
    YEARS later...in either Guns & Ammo or some other rag, I see a recall fron S&W on some of the 686's for having undersized chambers which would lock the gun up.
    So just a heads up on that...if thats an early gun and it does that...S&W will take care of it for you.
    EDIT: Just saw in your post it already has the M stamp on it...should be raring to go!
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 10-24-21 at 08:24.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Excellent choice, I've kind of been looking for one to go along with my 2 1/2 inch pre-lock 686. I use the 686 for practice but carry one of my 640's. Saves some wear & tear on the J frames.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I love me some Smith revolvers. Congrats on your nice acquisition.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Smart move to get it, as new ones seem priced way too high. I have one I bought in 1988 on advise from a trooper friend that, & it served me well through academy classes until we transitioned to semi-autos. I had change my grips out for duty use, so my originals are in good shape. Was surprised first week of academy in 1989, the armorer came around to those of us that the 686s & had to inspect/stamp them for some kind of recall. Started to sale mine years ago, but am very glad I still have it, just for the occasional range use.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    686.jpg

This was my Grandfather's 686 no-dash that I inherited, they are great shooters and priceless. I have the original grips in a safe place!

No "M" stamp on mine, since it was a family gun there is no way it's leaving my safe to have the modification done. With that said, I have never had a malfunction so I got lucky.

Congrats on your new revolver!
    Last edited by Opie; 11-06-21 at 15:50.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Opie View Post
    686.jpg

This was my Grandfather's 686 no-dash that I inherited, they are great shooters and priceless. I have the original grips in a safe place!

No "M" stamp on mine, since it was a family gun there is no way it's leaving my safe to have the modification done. With that said, I have never had a malfunction so I got lucky.

Congrats on your new revolver!
    Sure you would rather have your Grandfather back, but at least he left you something VERY nice to remember him by. Great looking revolver.
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast