Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SA Range Officer...leave as Parkerized or Armor Kote.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

SA Range Officer...leave as Parkerized or Armor Kote.

Good chance of picking up a used Tactical model and the photos from the seller show some light wear. Slide release and rail (from flashlight)

This is going to be a shooter and not really a collector... Is it worth it if I keep the original finish or send off to the SA Custom shop for a full black refinish? I also want to upgrade some of the parts to Wilson Combat, just for reliability long term.

Not sure if the SA Custom shop would install someone else's parts...

Opinions appreciated!

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Leave it. If it’s a working gun, honest wear is a plus.
    There are people PAYING for “Battleworn” finish.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Leave it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I’d leave it, but I’d be interested in your feed back after the parts upgrade. I own a Range Officer and love it. Had it for a few years now and haven’t upgraded anything. I’ve given it thought though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I didn't think SACS was even around for custom work anymore. I'd only refinish if the parts you want installed warrant it. If its just minor usage wear, I wouldn't worry at all.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Refinishing is almost always a losing proposition. In safe queens/ collectibles it destroys value, in working guns you are just going to wear it off again. Short of active recurrent rust, leave them be

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Yea, I’d leave it be. And to be honest, unless you hate the parts, SA parts are pretty good. I’d wait until they fail unless it’s a duty gun. Wilson and NHC will do work with others parts. And they will do first class job.

Good luck.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Yea, I’d leave it be. And to be honest, unless you hate the parts, SA parts are pretty good. I’d wait until they fail unless it’s a duty gun. Wilson and NHC will do work with others parts. And they will do first class job.

Good luck.

PB
    Agree, my Colt had sharp edges so I had it defanged which necessitated a refinish. I got it cerokoted and it looked great for a while but now it's well worn especially near the muzzle. I like the way it looks since it's all my wear and abuse. But, living in a tropical climate as I do it will rust on the bare spots if not monitored.

The standard Colt parts are solid and have I have experienced zero broken parts. Roughly 10,000 rounds so far. It is not a duty or carry piece.
    Last edited by 1986s4; 10-27-21 at 09:18.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    +1 for “leave it”. Worn park is sexy and makes for a better heirloom. I can spend hours just staring at the wear on my grandfathers Colt.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Leave it, or sell it to me and you can get another 1911 in the way you want it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast