Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SA Range Officer...leave as Parkerized or Armor Kote.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ffhounddog View Post
    Leave it, or sell it to me and you can get another 1911 in the way you want it.
    I do have a Springfield Mil Spec I would part with...

but to answer everyone, I am going to leave it as is...scratches are very minor. Gun is in great shape overall, trigger seems to have a light creep to it

Haven't shot it yet.....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Post an update with wear pics in a few years once it’s nice and salty.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pag23 View Post
    I do have a Springfield Mil Spec I would part with...

but to answer everyone, I am going to leave it as is...scratches are very minor. Gun is in great shape overall, trigger seems to have a light creep to it

Haven't shot it yet.....
    I am seriously considering a Mil Spec as my next pistol purchase ("need" a parked 1911 to accompany my 1903 and M1).

Did you have issues with yours, or just wanted to upgrade to a RO? I have not kept up on Springfield Armory or 1911s.

Andy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I just found another spot of rust on my well worn Colt. I am seriously thinking about doing a do-it-yourself rattle can paint job. I would send it for a refinish but I have the sights exactly where I want them so... It's just gotten to point of past cool to look at...transitioning to it's going to have more rust every time I look at it. I'll sand it with some ultra fine sandpaper, clean and spray.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I am seriously considering a Mil Spec as my next pistol purchase ("need" a parked 1911 to accompany my 1903 and M1).

Did you have issues with yours, or just wanted to upgrade to a RO? I have not kept up on Springfield Armory or 1911s.

Andy
    Only issue was the mag release that was handled very quickly under warranty.. it shot great and the trigger was smooth. They did a nice job on this gun as an entry level pistol. I just recently sold it.

I just wanted to upgrade to the RO with the upgraded sights and skeletonized trigger and hammer. I also wanted a rail

I do know a LGS that has a slightly worn 1911A1 Springfield with rear adjustable sights and colobolo grips. Some slide wear. They want $549 for it. It is not parkerized though

The Mil Spec is a decent parkerized job
    Last edited by pag23; 01-22-22 at 15:19.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pag23 View Post
    Only issue was the mag release that was handled very quickly under warranty.. it shot great and the trigger was smooth. They did a nice job on this gun as an entry level pistol. I just recently sold it.

I just wanted to upgrade to the RO with the upgraded sights and skeletonized trigger and hammer. I also wanted a rail

I do know a LGS that has a slightly worn 1911A1 Springfield with rear adjustable sights and colobolo grips. Some slide wear. They want $549 for it. It is not parkerized though

The Mil Spec is a decent parkerized job
    Thanks! I had a SA 1911 25+ years ago and have a Colt LW Commander now. I am kind of looking to add a basic 5" 1911.

Andy

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Thanks! I had a SA 1911 25+ years ago and have a Colt LW Commander now. I am kind of looking to add a basic 5" 1911.

Andy
    Welcome! It's seems like the newer Mil Specs are harder to come by, but they are a good value for a base gun. I didn't care for the 3 dot white sights though.

i will PM the local LGS info in case you are looking at that 1911A1... It has that battleworn finish, but the grips are in good condition and the barrel seemed Ok...

Feedback Score
    Been carrying this RO Elite Champ for two years now.

It has the Black T finish on it, but riding in a Tenicor Certum, and lots of draws has worn it off a tad.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/y2bmf3hf4iWDpojz9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HH5wMufJobRAAWSu5

Leave it alone, wear it, use it, enjoy it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Leave it. If it’s a working gun, honest wear is a plus.
    There are people PAYING for “Battleworn” finish.
    +1

I was surprised when I first heard of paying extra for a worn look.

Whatever you decide to do, it’s a very nice gun. Enjoy shooting it
    Last edited by Dan_B; 03-05-22 at 09:43.
    Cheers,

—Dan @ MN

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think parkerizing is a great finish, the mat finish holds oil well and there is no thickness to flake/chip off.

Personally, I'd leave it be and shoot the barrel out of it. If you enjoy the platform, you might want to checker the front and back straps, change things around abit ect. When you have it where you want it then re-parkerize it.
    I know I should just keep my mouth shut and smile, but what fun is that?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast