Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Night Vision - Help me proof out my 1st NV set up.

Feedback Score
    A 1.93 or even 2.04 height optic mount are preferable for passive aiming with MNVD over the dominant eye.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowdown3 View Post

There is also Photonis White phosphor tubes in the BNVD platform however with the Photonis tubes you lose the gain control when they go into BNVDs, so they are no gain, what others call "auto gain" which actually means no gain control as you have no control over the gain in actual usage- it's set high at the factory and you can't change it..
    I find this quite odd. I have a set of 31 MODC with Photonis tubes and I have manual gain on mine. I am also in Canada. Seems odd they wouldn't offer that for the US market.

Feedback Score
    It's got nothing to do with Canada but the platform.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com
    Ask about M4carbine.net discounts
    30 years in business- Since 1992
    robert@jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It's got nothing to do with Canada but the platform.
    I'm not following?? The body/housing itself?

Feedback Score
    A lot of the QSCI (or whatever) units aren't really sold/wanted much in the U.S.

I understand in Canada that's likely your best option.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A lot of the QSCI (or whatever) units aren't really sold/wanted much in the U.S.

I understand in Canada that's likely your best option.
    Ah, so it's a vendor/NVD housing limitation, got it. Sadly in Canada it is about the only option. Prices are two to three times that of the US.

Feedback Score
    Yes I've heard prices suck in Canada.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    How do I tell the difference between an artifact and trash on the lens?

Do artifacts appear after the tube has been used for a little while?

I finally got my mount and counter weight and decided to go a little night stroll. I noticed a dot and a line that I have never seen before in the tube.
    Not sure if I have some trash on the lens that is stuck and I need to clean it better than just with an optic pen cleaner or maybe I have developed an artifact.
    Of course I don't want to ruin my new toy until I have attended a full shooting class with it.

I am starting to see why a dovetail mount is preferred.
    My rhino mount doesn't like to stay stay centered where I put it so the tube want to move just enough where I am looking at a slight angle. Madding.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fedupflyer View Post
    How do I tell the difference between an artifact and trash on the lens?

Do artifacts appear after the tube has been used for a little while?

I finally got my mount and counter weight and decided to go a little night stroll. I noticed a dot and a line that I have never seen before in the tube.
    Not sure if I have some trash on the lens that is stuck and I need to clean it better than just with an optic pen cleaner or maybe I have developed an artifact.
    Of course I don't want to ruin my new toy until I have attended a full shooting class with it.

I am starting to see why a dovetail mount is preferred.
    My rhino mount doesn't like to stay stay centered where I put it so the tube want to move just enough where I am looking at a slight angle. Madding.
    I can almost tell where people have purchased NV from when they use the term "artifact." Few places use that term.

If you mean a blemish, it would have had that at the onset. As a general rule blems don't happen after the fact. When it appears to happen after the fact- i.e, after some use, it's likely some "debris in field"- technical term for trash in your lens. I would email whoever you bought it from with a pic and tell them you suspect it's debris in field. There was a thread recently where I walked a poster here through how to clean his lens on a used unit he bought from someone. It goes through the whole process and you can see "before and after" pics to see the benefit as well.

A pic against a white wall would help if you want to post one. Just don't be "that guy' and use your IR illuminator for the pic- bouncing IR off a wall back into your tube isn't very smart, yet you see tons of people posting pics of walls with the IR indicator light clearly showing on.... Big risk to burning your tube from the IR.

Dovetail mounts are nice, especially the Noisefighters ones. A properly setup and adjusted military J arm will work as well.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    Here's the link to the thread I mentioned above regarding cleaning a unit-

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...th-black-spots
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com