Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Night Vision - Help me proof out my 1st NV set up.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fedupflyer View Post
    Bumping this thread again...

I am in the market for a focusing device for my PVS-14.

What other option are there out there besides Phokus Hoplite and Matbock Tarsier Eclipse.
    I have zero experience with either one of the above and have made a home-made version that is not cutting it.
    I like the looks of the Tarsier Eclipse but $250 seems a little high for an aperture.
    The GWOT era answer is to take a Butler Creek flip cap and poke a 5.56 hole in the middle of it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Here is what I used to make the one above.
    Adjustable 1.5-26mm Iris Diaphragm M30 to M37 Camera Lens Module Adapter Ring https://a.co/d/0GWDKi9
    And
    K&F Concept 37mm MC UV Protection Filter with 28 Multi-Layer Coatings HD/Hydrophobic/Scratch Resistant Ultra-Slim UV Filter for 37mm Camera Lens (Nano-X Series) https://a.co/d/gLjiRZB

Just screw the lens into the iris and then the iris into the pvs-14. I like this better thN the original as I can just turn the outer ring and not have to look for the little adjustment lever that changes position based on its settings and how I have the focus set.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    The GWOT era answer is to take a Butler Creek flip cap and poke a 5.56 hole in the middle of it.
    A HS guy had me do that.
    It works just ok and if you need it in a pinch.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    Yep...
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vandal5 View Post
    Here is what I used to make the one above.
    Adjustable 1.5-26mm Iris Diaphragm M30 to M37 Camera Lens Module Adapter Ring https://a.co/d/0GWDKi9
    And
    K&F Concept 37mm MC UV Protection Filter with 28 Multi-Layer Coatings HD/Hydrophobic/Scratch Resistant Ultra-Slim UV Filter for 37mm Camera Lens (Nano-X Series) https://a.co/d/gLjiRZB

Just screw the lens into the iris and then the iris into the pvs-14. I like this better thN the original as I can just turn the outer ring and not have to look for the little adjustment lever that changes position based on its settings and how I have the focus set.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    Initially I thought this home brew idea was gonna be a ram shackle type fix.
    I had saw the recoomendation before and after your post. After a few bourbons, I said fk it and ordered the parts.
    Turns out, it is a great solution. Screws right into the PVS-14 and works phenomenally better that putting a hole in a cap cover.
    I think total cost was $70.

Feedback Score
    Initially I thought this home brew idea was gonna be a ram shackle type fix.
    I had saw the recoomendation before and after your post. After a few bourbons, I said fk it and ordered the parts.
    Turns out, it is a great solution. Screws right into the PVS-14 and works phenomenally better that putting a hole in a cap cover.
    I think total cost was $70.
    What is the purpose of this?
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    What is the purpose of this?
    To make a focusing device that works well and is cheaper than a commercial version.

Feedback Score
    To make a focusing device that works well and is cheaper than a commercial version.
    Whats wrong the factory focus? I haven't noticed a problem.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    Whats wrong the factory focus? I haven't noticed a problem.
    The iris doesn't really change focus per se, but depth of field. Changing the focus on your eye piece means you're locked in to the focal depth you've chosen; using an iris or cap means you've increased your DoF, so you can focus in closer without losing your infinity focus (or whatever focal point you had chosen).

I know some folks prefer holes in caps over an iris, due to the fact that the iris is infinitely adjustable, and you end up fiddle****ing with it too much, particularly with dual tubes, to get it right/matching, while the caps give you only a couple of presets. I haven't messed with an iris before, but I'm very fond of my Dark Focus Concepts caps, though the guy behind it is also a personal friend, so I'm biased in that regard.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 08-16-23 at 08:27.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456