Thread: 3-inch revolver carry IWB Appendix or behind hip?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

3-inch revolver carry IWB Appendix or behind hip?

My first 3 inch revolver (that I intend to carry) (New Colt King Cobra)

I prefer IWB hybrid holsters and normally carry 12:30-2:00. Not sure if this is common or easy to do with a 3 inch gun. The only holster of this type I've found is for 4:00 carry.

So I'm wondering what the preferred carry method is for this type of gun and who makes a good hybrid style holster for it.

Feedback Score
    Well I don't have the option due to too much belly. The 3:30 - 4:00 position works best for me. I shot IPSC back in the 80's so strong side 3 - 4 is good for me for muscle memory.

You are going to have a loose shirt to cover both positions so which position do you favor? I find 4:00 works good in the car. Just lean forward a little to draw.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I occasionally carry a 3 inch Smith and Wesson, about the same size as your Colt at the 4 o’clock position and it works well for me. With a pancake holster I can get away with OWB, with a loose shirt or jacket. For IWB I like a holster that has the attachment points forward and back, rather than right on top of the cylinder.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    After trying some all-kydex recently I've decided to stay with hybrids. Yes loops / clips on the "wings" of the holster not over or nearly over the gun.

I do prefer Appendix but if a 3 inch revolver is too long for that I dont mind 4 o'clock.

I remember I did have a 3 inch Gp100 .44 I left the house with a few times in a nice Falco leather IWB holster but the combo was just too much bulk.

On a side note: That gun never shot well for me. I used to put the blame on the trigger. I later learned they have tight throated chambers. Much of what I fired were lead bullets and I found the mediocre to poor accuracy perplexing. I put about 600 rounds of new .44 spl ammo through that gun. $$$!
    Sold it.

I since started reloading and learned about this issue. I borrowed / traded with a relative a new Gp100 4 inch. It shot fine with jacketed ammo. When I considered keeping it I measured the throats. Too tight. (.3560-.3565)

So I already know it wont shoot .358 lead bullets well. It'll be going back to the previous owner.

The King Cobra I have has .358-.3585 throats. Should shoot lead just fine!

Oh, my .327 LCR (bullets are .312 and .313) has .313-.3135 throats and is very accurate at distances suitable for the short sight radius of the 1.87 in barrel.
    Last edited by Ron3; 10-24-21 at 20:56.

Feedback Score
    Follow up.

The 3 inch Colt carries fine in either position.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)

3" K frame, model 65 (with cerakote finish) in a Lobo Gunleather IWB.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post

3" K frame, model 65 (with cerakote finish) in a Lobo Gunleather IWB.
    Nice.

Doesn't that leather on leather squeak?

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Nice.

Doesn't that leather on leather squeak?
    No. Modern day leather belt/holster have been around for decades.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.