Thread: 3-inch revolver carry IWB Appendix or behind hip?

Feedback Score

3-inch revolver carry IWB Appendix or behind hip?

My first 3 inch revolver (that I intend to carry) (New Colt King Cobra)

I prefer IWB hybrid holsters and normally carry 12:30-2:00. Not sure if this is common or easy to do with a 3 inch gun. The only holster of this type I've found is for 4:00 carry.

So I'm wondering what the preferred carry method is for this type of gun and who makes a good hybrid style holster for it.

Feedback Score
    Well I don't have the option due to too much belly. The 3:30 - 4:00 position works best for me. I shot IPSC back in the 80's so strong side 3 - 4 is good for me for muscle memory.

You are going to have a loose shirt to cover both positions so which position do you favor? I find 4:00 works good in the car. Just lean forward a little to draw.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I occasionally carry a 3 inch Smith and Wesson, about the same size as your Colt at the 4 o’clock position and it works well for me. With a pancake holster I can get away with OWB, with a loose shirt or jacket. For IWB I like a holster that has the attachment points forward and back, rather than right on top of the cylinder.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    After trying some all-kydex recently I've decided to stay with hybrids. Yes loops / clips on the "wings" of the holster not over or nearly over the gun.

I do prefer Appendix but if a 3 inch revolver is too long for that I dont mind 4 o'clock.

I remember I did have a 3 inch Gp100 .44 I left the house with a few times in a nice Falco leather IWB holster but the combo was just too much bulk.

On a side note: That gun never shot well for me. I used to put the blame on the trigger. I later learned they have tight throated chambers. Much of what I fired were lead bullets and I found the mediocre to poor accuracy perplexing. I put about 600 rounds of new .44 spl ammo through that gun. $$$!
    Sold it.

I since started reloading and learned about this issue. I borrowed / traded with a relative a new Gp100 4 inch. It shot fine with jacketed ammo. When I considered keeping it I measured the throats. Too tight. (.3560-.3565)

So I already know it wont shoot .358 lead bullets well. It'll be going back to the previous owner.

The King Cobra I have has .358-.3585 throats. Should shoot lead just fine!

Oh, my .327 LCR (bullets are .312 and .313) has .313-.3135 throats and is very accurate at distances suitable for the short sight radius of the 1.87 in barrel.
    Last edited by Ron3; 10-24-21 at 20:56.

Feedback Score
    Follow up.

The 3 inch Colt carries fine in either position.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)

3" K frame, model 65 (with cerakote finish) in a Lobo Gunleather IWB.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post

3" K frame, model 65 (with cerakote finish) in a Lobo Gunleather IWB.
    Nice.

Doesn't that leather on leather squeak?

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Nice.

Doesn't that leather on leather squeak?
    No. Modern day leather belt/holster have been around for decades.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Tony Meyer at JM Custom Kydex makes an excellent holster that works well is either AIWB or IWB.

For Kydex, I really like his stuff along with Tom at Dark Star Gear. I am not sure if John and Sarah at Phlster make a holster for the King Cobra at this time. But their stuff is solid as well. All three of those companies are shooters that really test their stuff, and are great people you'd be happy to support with your cash.

For Moodex, I really like Rob Leahy of Simply Rugged, and John Ryan at JRC. Fit is very precise, so retention is as good as other people's Kydex work. I have JRC holsters I can hold upside down and shake, and the revolver does not fall out. But they draw like greased lightning.

I carry revolvers a lot, and these are my fave people.

If you want some bespoke leather, let me know. I know a couple of people that will do some awesome custom work on commission. One just relocated to Texas, so it might be a while before he starts up again.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    No. Modern day leather belt/holster have been around for decades.
    The several times I tried any combo where leather holster parts rub a leather belt it would squeak. Oil oil helped a short while. I think I tried talk and corn starch with limited results.