Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Longest Shot With .40 S&W

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Longest Shot With .40 S&W

What is the longest shot you made with a .40 S&W pistol? Pistol caliber carbines don't count.
    What size was the target? Was it a B-27? An IPSC target? A piece of steel?
    How high did you have to hold over the target to compensate for drop?
    How far off did you have to hold left or right to compensate for rotational drift?
    What percentage of hits did you make? 1 out of 10? 1 out of 20?, 1 out of ???
    What kind of handgun and ammunition did you use to make the shot?
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Full size IPSC at about 135 yards. Glock 35 with Dawson Fiber front/black rear, 180 gr Gold Dot . Left Hand only I am right handed, got the hit on first shot. Held about top of the head. And yes there were witnesses.
    Last edited by Shane1; 12-09-21 at 03:43.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    200 yards on a full size silhouette target, H&K P2000, 180 grain Federal HST. We held with the bottom of the front sight on top of the target. If I remember right we hit paper four times out of ten.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    G22/23 gen3-4, various 180 carry/training ammo, 200yd E-silhouette.
    Held top of target or a little more. Sight picture is usually pretty poor depending on FS, can be a lot of dead reckoning and a WAG.
    20-30% hits at this distance, not even that good on a bad day.

I need to repeat with some gen5s.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    100 yards, G22, 12X18 target.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    When I had a Springfield 1911 in .40, every range trip my buddy would grab a box of cheap 150gr flat nose and bang the 24x24 steel at 100yds for a minimum 8 out of 10 every time.

He’s rubbish with a handgun, but once he saw how easy the gun shot, he just loved tagging that steel. Bottom of the front sight at top of the steel IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Many years ago firing Glock 22 at just over 100 yds. Target was a 6 inch round plate.

Hit it a few times out of a few mags. Missed many more. 15% hits maybe. IIRC was aiming more than a foot above it with 180 bullets but not hitting it with any regularity to learn much.
    Last edited by Ron3; 12-09-21 at 12:08.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    How far do you believe a .40 S&W cartridge is effective?

I attempted some long shots shooting offhand with a Glock 22 using both Federal and Winchester 180g JHP. A friend spotted for me on a dusty range and told me where my rounds impacted while I tried to put rounds on a B-27 target at 224 yards. After I learned how far to hold over and how far to hold off to compensate for rotational drift, I was hitting the target 20% of the time. It took 15 rounds to find a good hold, then we put up a clean target. Then I managed to put 7 out of 30 rounds on paper. I had to hold 6' over the target and 4' to the left of center. The target was attached to a 3/4" piece of marine plywood and the rounds that hit the plywood punched all the way through. We could not find any of the projectiles on the impact area.

A three gun shooter I know told me he shot a long range stage with a handgun at a match. He said he hit a 3' x 5' steel target at 300 yards with his 9mm 1 out of 5 rounds. Listening to other competitors gave him an idea of how much to hold over the target with his RDS.

The plan is to see what a Glock 22 will do with 180g JHP at 300 yards. We'll use 3/4" plywood as a target backer again. We are waiting for a day when the full value wind on the 300 yard range is under 10 mph.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    I’m pretty sure a TX cop on horseback plugged somebody at just over 100 yards, while holding the reins with his support hand.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eightmillimeter View Post
    I’m pretty sure a TX cop on horseback plugged somebody at just over 100 yards, while holding the reins with his support hand.
    Yep, his name is Adam Johnson. Austin PD........THe suspect was an active shooter. He had been shooting up multiple places in Austin and was shooting at an occupied police headquarters at the time Sgt Johnson took the shot. It was 104 yards to be exact. He's a coworker and friend!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast