Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I pulled the trigger on an M2 tactical today

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DixieGuns View Post
    I think I’m gonna hold off a minute on the red dot. The ghost rings are pretty quick to get on target and I like them.
    Once I get the sling and a light it’ll be good to go.
    Very nice...

FWIW, my M2s are both "field" versions, and I was ready to add sights to them, but I find sighting down the rib and putting the front bead on targets works fine.

With a weaponlight mounted, there shouldn't be much trouble shooting at night, either...

One more thing... A bigger carrier release button is VERY nice to have. It was a bit worrisome to drill and tap it, but well worth it.
    Last edited by Bimmer; 11-04-21 at 23:10.

Feedback Score
    Mine... I finally figured out how to delete old photos from the forum and post new ones.

IMG_9115 copy.JPG

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Mine... I finally figured out how to delete old photos from the forum and post new ones.

IMG_9115 copy.JPG
    Those are some very nice rigs you have right there.
    Like I mentioned at the beginning of this thread, this is really my first shotgun. I don’t see it being alone for very much longer lol.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DixieGuns View Post
    ... this is really my first shotgun. I don’t see it being alone for very much longer lol.
    For me the gateway drug was finding good used M1/M2 barrels on eBay/GunBroker, so it only cost a couple hundred bucks to add a 28" barrel.

Then, switching barrels seemed like a headache, and Bud's was selling a "new run" of M1s (M2s with M1 furniture) with 28" barrels, for $750, so I grabbed one of those. Once I sold the extra 28" barrel (for a profit), it only cost me several hundred $$$ more to have an entirely separate gun.

Now I'm shopping for a side-by-side. Really...

Feedback Score
    My youngest son flew in on leave last night and wanted to shoot today. So we headed out into the backyard and really got that barrel(and our shoulders) warm. We ran 4 boxes of low brass cheap target, then 4 boxes of 3” #4 hi-speed steel. We had a few stoppages up front on the light stuff, but the heavy stuff ran with authority. The stoppages were failure to feed and a slight nudge on the bolt and it was back in action. Looking back we should’ve probably ran the 3” first.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    It sounds complicated, but it simply WORKS, and it keeps combustion gasses and powder residue out of the action (unlike gas guns).
    Now that I understand the basic idea I can see the advantages. Why are there no modern auto-loading rifles build with this action, or are there? I don't suppose 5.56 has enough recoil but it sounds like it would work well with larger cartridges.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Now that I understand the basic idea I can see the advantages. Why are there no modern auto-loading rifles build with this action, or are there? I don't suppose 5.56 has enough recoil but it sounds like it would work well with larger cartridges.
    I'm guessing here, but I don't think this would apply well to rifles because (1) rifles have waaaay more pressure than shotguns, and they need their bolt lugs locked up, (2) I don't think the springy "inertia" system lends itself to mechanical accuracy, which is a priority for most rifles (but not for shotguns), and (3) various gas systems in rifles work well enough.

Feedback Score
    I decided on the 1” midway bungee sling. With one end looped around the magazine tube and the other on the stock attachment. It carries well and seems to be pretty solid.
    Last edited by DixieGuns; 12-05-21 at 20:54.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123