Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brass ejecting to 1 o'clock

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A few reasons. None of concern if gun is properly functioning, reliable, "mil-spec" accurate. The infamous ejection-pattern "pie-chart" is pretty much worthless, especially with commercially-produced, box-store ammunition.

"Brass ejecting to 1 o'clock
    Why would a properly gassed ar eject brass to 1 o'clock?". While I'm here the bold infers a factual conclusion and begs the question, how do you know that?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I would speak w BRT, as the assumption is that the gas tube is correctly sized, yet brass is being ejected as if system is overgassed.

Mark

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mpom View Post
    I would speak w BRT, as the assumption is that the gas tube is correctly sized, yet brass is being ejected as if system is overgassed.

Mark
    Unless the extractor spring is weak (a spring that's failing or is not up to spec, such as an M16 extractor spring), even an over gassed and under buffered AR will not eject at 1 o'clock.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    i dont have much to add, except to perhaps emphasize that brass direction is one of those things.... most guns appropriately gassed will drop brass around 3:30-4:30, but a fully, correctly, functioning gun can drop brass anywhere from 1:30 to 5:30. i really think brass direction is only useful as an additional diagnostic tool when its accompanied by some kind of hiccup, and can then possibly be useful in helping to zero in the nature of the problem. but never is conclusive by itself, or even dependably close to conclusive.

brass direction gets way over emphasized on these guns boards. in my humble opinion. op, i would ignore it absent any other issue.
    why so serious?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    OP has not given specifics on the firearm; we are assuming buffer, spring and bolt carrier are of mainstream weights, spring strength. Lightweight components would require less gas.
    Mark

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Thanks to all for the replies.

Barrel is 11.5 colt FBI(heavy), Omega 30cal can, colt BCG, H2 buffer and Tubbs flatwire spring. I have replaced the Tubbs with usgi, and as mentioned the extractor spring/bumper with Colt gold extractor spring.

Feedback Score
    My AR15 ejects to 1 o'clock constantly, it is not a problem and allows me to collect the cases directly in my bag ...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadman William View Post
    i dont have much to add, except to perhaps emphasize that brass direction is one of those things.... most guns appropriately gassed will drop brass around 3:30-4:30, but a fully, correctly, functioning gun can drop brass anywhere from 1:30 to 5:30. i really think brass direction is only useful as an additional diagnostic tool when its accompanied by some kind of hiccup, and can then possibly be useful in helping to zero in the nature of the problem. but never is conclusive by itself, or even dependably close to conclusive.

brass direction gets way over emphasized on these guns boards. in my humble opinion. op, i would ignore it absent any other issue.
    I agree, while not an AR, my HK91 slings brass 50 yards at around 2:00 and works perfectly.

Let us know if your changes work OP. I’ve been reading this one with interest.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Will do. Was supposed to shoot yesterday but that got canceled.

Feedback Score
    You could also shoot weak ammo (silver bear, tula, pmc) to see ejection pattern changes and give you more data about the rifle being possibly overpasses.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast