Thread: Grip safety not working, please help

Feedback Score

Grip safety not working, please help

I have a trp operator.
    I detail stripped it for cleaning today, and the sear spring, the right tong of it, seemed really bent up more than usual. I got it reassembled, and the hammer wouldn’t release. So I took it apart and reassembled it again. Now without the grip safety engaged, it is fitting when I safety tested it. Everything is oiled, I know I missed something somewhere but this isn’t my first time tearing it down and putting it back together, but it’s the first time I’ve had an issue.

After I reinstall the safety’s the fcg works correctly but when I re install the main spring housing is when it goes to shit on me. I guess I didn’t test hammer release withoutb the grip safety depressed pre main spring installation though. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Try removing the main spring housing, remove the sear spring, then reinstall the sear spring. You should be able to find a pic of a properly adjusted sear spring on the internet. Wilson Combat and Brownell's would be the first place I would look.

Depress the grip safety while holding the sear spring in position and hold it while installing the main spring housing. Some people are talented enough to do it by hand, but I depress the grip safety and wrap a zip tie around the grip and cinch it down to maintain pressure on the grip safety. That should hold the sear spring in position while you install the main spring housing and push in the retention pin.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    Try removing the main spring housing, remove the sear spring, then reinstall the sear spring. You should be able to find a pic of a properly adjusted sear spring on the internet. Wilson Combat and Brownell's would be the first place I would look.

Depress the grip safety while holding the sear spring in position and hold it while installing the main spring housing. Some people are talented enough to do it by hand, but I depress the grip safety and wrap a zip tie around the grip and cinch it down to maintain pressure on the grip safety. That should hold the sear spring in position while you install the main spring housing and push in the retention pin.
    Great idea, THANK YOU!!!

Feedback Score
    Got it working last night. The right fork needed re adjusted

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That's good to hear.

Over the years I've learned a bit from Jerry Kuhnhausen's book - "The Colt .45 Automatic, A Shop Manual", Brownell's videos and Wilson Combat videos. If you think the sear spring is questionable, it's cheap insurance to replace it with a new one.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    I have just the opposite problem my grip safety works too good. With my small hands I have to grip my 1911 up high to get my hand around it far enough to pull the trigger. That puts the grip safety's knob in the middle of my palm & it doesn't depress & won't fire. I have to use my left thumb up under the palm of my right hand to hold the grip safety down to get a consistent fire on this gun. Is there a way to disable the grip safety?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 545Warman View Post
    I have just the opposite problem my grip safety works too good. With my small hands I have to grip my 1911 up high to get my hand around it far enough to pull the trigger. That puts the grip safety's knob in the middle of my palm & it doesn't depress & won't fire. I have to use my left thumb up under the palm of my right hand to hold the grip safety down to get a consistent fire on this gun. Is there a way to disable the grip safety?
    You might consider installing a grip safety with a speed bump.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 545Warman View Post
    The grip safety can be adjusted to unlock the trigger when it is less than fully depressed, without completely disabling the safety. It is a fine adjustment to make and so requires patience. If you have someone local who knows how to work on the 1911, talk to them.

Feedback Score
    You can rubber band it down too. I wouldn’t but you can. The original design for the m1911a was no grip safety. The army required it, and against Brownings pleas, he had to install one. You can completely permanently disable it. You would need to take the bend out of the fork for the grip safety, the right one. That was my problem, mine was disabled.

That being said, if you want it done, I’d take it to a gunsmith. Mine disengages with minimal depression and I like it like that.

Feedback Score

Grip safety not working, please help

Duplicate