Thread: Is this a symptom of an over tensioned extractor?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Is this a symptom of an over tensioned extractor?

Yesterday was the first range trip for my new build. I’m not exactly a 1911 expert, I’ve only built two. And the chamber is polished. I believe this extractor is too tight, just need confirmation.
    Thanks.

There was no stoppages when firing, hand cycling is where the stoppages happened.
    Last edited by camoman; 10-27-21 at 08:31.

Feedback Score
    Could be there is a burr on the breechface or even a sharp edge on the firing pin hole that is grabbing on to the softer brass.

Feedback Score
    Possibly over-tensioned extractor, could also be the geometry is wrong, it’s not finished well, or so many other minor things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Stripping round from mag and failure to go into battery is a symptom of “too much extractor tension”, but it generally is exhibited by just stopping short of going to battery, like 1/8” plus.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Stripping round from mag and failure to go into battery is a symptom of “too much extractor tension”, but it generally is exhibited by just stopping short of going to battery, like 1/8” plus.
    I really believe this to be the issue. Most of the stoppages are exactly what you explained. Plus the rim of the cartridges are getting torn up, and gouged.
    I don’t think there’s a burr, I have deburred everything. The extractor itself looks perfect, It’s a Wilson Combat bullet proof extractor. With it disassemble, round in the extractor…it just seems way too tight. I don’t have a trigger pull gauge, but it’s tight enough to damage the brass.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It could be extractor tension or the shape of the bottom of the extractor where the brass rim engages it when the loaded cartridge is stripped from the magazine. Sometimes a new extractor requires minor fitting.

IMHO, Jerry Kuhnhausen's book "The Colt .45 Automatic, A Shop Manual" is worth buying if you are going to go beyond field stripping the 1911 for cleaning and/or you are going to perform some of your own maintenance.
    Last edited by T2C; 10-28-21 at 09:22.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Bottom of extractor hook should be radiused/beveled to prevent digging into case.
    Open link.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...wkz0Q&usqp=CAU
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by camoman View Post
    There was no stoppages when firing, hand cycling is where the stoppages happened.
    So the pistol functions fine during live fire. This tells me the recoil spring is able to overcome whatever is preventing the pistol from going into battery when hand cycled.

Are you using reloads or factory ammo. If it's reloads, check that there's enough taper crimp.

Try hand cycling the pistol without the extractor being in it. In fact, remove the recoil spring so you can feel every bump as the cartridge feeds. I do this with every build prior to live fire testing. My technique is to put both thumbs on the back of the slide and use only enough force to get the pistol into battery. You should quickly be able to determine if the extractor is the cause of the issue.

There are three things that must be addressed when fitting an extractor:
    • Geometry
    • Deflection
    • Tension

Tension is last on the list. As long as deflection is set to no more than .010" the extractor will function fine with what most would say is wildly excessive tension. I do not try to set tension to a specific amount. I just bend the extractor and proceed to test firing. It is difficult, some would say impossible, to bend an extractor so much that feeding is compromised as long as deflection is set to no more than .010".

I prefer EGW Heavy Duty extractors. EGW makes its extractors with extra "meat" in the right places to allow them to be fit to any slide from any manufacturer. Wilson makes extractors to fit its slides. I had two Wilson extractors that could not be fit to two Caspian slides because the locating pads of the extractors were not tall enough to allow for setting the deflection. If your slide has the same internal dimensions as a Wilson slide then you should be fine using one of their extractors.

For everything you need to know about correctly fitting internal 1911 extractors go to this LINK.
    Last edited by Steve_in_Allentown; 10-28-21 at 09:51.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'll second the recommendation for EGW parts. I've been using them for years with good results.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I just want to thank you all for the pointers, and extremely useful information.
    I studied the thread posted, and watched a few videos. I clamped the extractor to the table using my rubber jawed clamp, and carefully put all the bevels on all the right places. It seems to have turned out great!
    And the tension seems to be set right.
    Now it cycles smooth as butter.
    I may just have to tear into the RIA and do the same!

I love this forum! I have seriously learned more on this site, then any other site.
    Thanks a whole bunch guy’s!
    Last edited by camoman; 10-28-21 at 13:05.