Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stainless barrel; yay or nay?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Question Stainless barrel; yay or nay?

I don't have anything with a stainless barrel so I want to do one of my next AR builds (Either 16" barrel rifle or 7.5"/8" pistol barrel).

Pros & cons to a stainless barrel? Should I lean to using the stainless barrel on 1 build more than the other?

Both will likely just be a range toy.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Their advantage is accuracy. Unless you’re doing a build for accuracy/precision, no point. A chrome lined barrel will hold up better.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    ^^^
    I run SS on a couple “precision” ARs, where strings of fire are sedate.
    Mag dumps and sustained fire are Chrome or Nitride.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I deliberately abused a SS barrel, getting it so hot it turned brown. I find no reason to not use a SS barrel, if you want one.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Lots of discussion out on the interwebs over this one. I did a deep dive awhile back. Ultimately what I determined is it just doesn't matter unless you are talking about sustained full auto. Then a chrome lined barrel will hold up better. Fore the rest of us, get whatever you like.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch110 View Post
    Lots of discussion out on the interwebs over this one. I did a deep dive awhile back. Ultimately what I determined is it just doesn't matter unless you are talking about sustained full auto. Then a chrome lined barrel will hold up better. Fore the rest of us, get whatever you like.
    Excellent

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I feel the lines have closed in on each technology. CL barrels shoot increasingly better, and SS barrels hold up better than most anticipate. So few people actually shoot out their barrels vs the volume of barrels bought ( take out the military) so if you want to pinch every bit of accuracy, I have no issue on trying a SS barrel.

Even though many CL barrels will shoot just as well as SS. Again buy what tickles your fancy.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    Their advantage is accuracy. Unless you’re doing a build for accuracy/precision, no point. A chrome lined barrel will hold up better.
    One steel or the other doesn't make a more accurate barrel. Have you heard of Bartlein Barrels? Quoted from his FAQs page >>
    Which steel is better?
    "For the most part neither from what we see. If we had to pick one we would lean towards the C.M. possibly lasting longer but how long a barrel last is subject to all the variables involved. Such as the type of powder being used, how it is being shot and cleaned and the types of bullets being shot through it etc"

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    It matters more the other features of the barrel and the manufacturing that went into it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    One steel or the other doesn't make a more accurate barrel. Have you heard of Bartlein Barrels? Quoted from his FAQs page >>
    Which steel is better?
    "For the most part neither from what we see. If we had to pick one we would lean towards the C.M. possibly lasting longer but how long a barrel last is subject to all the variables involved. Such as the type of powder being used, how it is being shot and cleaned and the types of bullets being shot through it etc"
    Right. It’s not more accurate because it’s stainless, it’s because it’s not chrome lined.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast