Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I really like Pmags but the inconsistency is getting to me.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I really like Pmags but the inconsistency is getting to me.

I’ve been a big Pmag fan since the RevMs came out and I got my first ones.

I really like how tough they are and they do feed very well.

But over half them won’t drop free in lowers that spit out any Brownells, Okay, or D&H mag with room to spare.

I like a drop-free mag. It’s not my lowers. I’m seriously considering going back to aluminum for my 30s.

I have never had a 40 round Pmag that didn’t drop free, even from lowers that were tighter.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    There's no telling how many different plants or on what continents the bodies are molded. Most of my Pmags are back up inventory or Loaded with the covers and stowed for quick back up. House gun has a USGI type Aluminum.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Tolerance stack can bite you no matter what, I once unwrapped 6 new USGI Center mags from the same lot 5 dropped free and one didn't. All my PMAGs have their lot number written on them and if problems crop up they will be removed from the serious use pile. I have found that the Gen 3's appear to be more consistent and the MCB the best of all which makes sense being an issued mag.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't like polymer AR mags, but I have a ton, and never had any problem with any of them not dropping free. I much prefer Okay Industries.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    There's no telling how many different plants or on what continents the bodies are molded. Most of my Pmags are back up inventory or Loaded with the covers and stowed for quick back up. House gun has a USGI type Aluminum.
    Pretty sure I have less than 5 total PMAGS. I never understood the fascination with them personally.

My go to magazines are OKAY - NHMTG - HK - C-Products.

I have an ample supply of all of them.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Many times it's not the magazine body. It can be the well, the magazine catch screw adjustment, etc. Or in an experience I had, the trigger guard sat "proud" into the well. Knocked it down a little and no more issue. I checked all my ARs and was a bit surprised at all the differences regarding trigger guard to magazine well assembled specs.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Yes, trigger guard can interfere. I have several times had to file a relief on a Magpul trigger guard to allow Gen M3 mags to seat.

All my current Pmags are Gen M3, most MCT no window.

I just put together 4 ARs for friends using two Centurion and two Geissele lowers. All four of those lowers hung up on half of the dozen Pmags I had around. I have a box full of GI mags from different makes and dates and couldn’t find one that was even a little bit tight in any of those four lowers.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Its your lower. The magic number appears to be .90 - anything that wide or wider I have found not to have any issues. I think the TDP measurement is for .89. The problem is when tolerance stacking, bad tooling, bad QC lets a lower out the door with a number lower than that.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Its your lower. The magic number appears to be .90 - anything that wide or wider I have found not to have any issues. I think the TDP measurement is for .89. The problem is when tolerance stacking, bad tooling, bad QC lets a lower out the door with a number lower than that.
    Agreed. Also possibly the mag catch is too tight. I mostly use Okay mags but also have several PMags from multiple generations and they all work for me but obviously YMMV.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I checked those before I put any parts in them so it’s not the mag catch.

It may very well be that the lowers are tight, but it’s near impossible to find a lower that has a magwell that will drop Pmags reliably. I have a few SOLGW lowers that do, and one that doesn’t.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast