Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I Think I Want A Mirrorless Camera

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Which is exactly why I upgraded my perfectly functional 1DIV to the 1DX3.

Yeah, I'll use adapters (air only, no glass) on my manual focus vintage glass out of necessity, otherwise, not so much. One of the fun things I discovered during the pandemic is some really great vintage glass. (Super Takumars / Pentacon / Yashinon / Helios)

The manual focus forces me to slow down and think more about what I am doing. I also got into buying nasty lenses with fungus cheap, tearing them apart and restoring them to as new condition.

The character of the photo's taken with these lenses is astounding and can also inspire my creative side, which is difficult.

Very cool cleaning the glass up!!!

I was shooting 1Ds3 and 1Dx, and there was a need to upgrade, so making the jump made sense on our end. My wife was also tired of every camera being a brute heavyweight. By the time Canon rolls out a R1, they should be another leap forward in technology, and if not, I won't buy it. If anything, I would pick up a second body R5 over the R3.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I Think I Want A Mirrorless Camera

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Very cool cleaning the glass up!!!

I was shooting 1Ds3 and 1Dx, and there was a need to upgrade, so making the jump made sense on our end. My wife was also tired of every camera being a brute heavyweight. By the time Canon rolls out a R1, they should be another leap forward in technology, and if not, I won't buy it. If anything, I would pick up a second body R5 over the R3.
    Yeah my wife would not want to lug the 1D around very long either.

But she is generally quite happy with iPhone photos!

Feedback Score
    Worth keeping in mind what AF lenses you already have that you might want to adapt to the new mirrorless system.
    With Canon it's almost seamless as all the old DSLR AF lenses have internal AF motors, with Nikon on the other hand there's currently no adapter available that allow AF with the old screw driven lenses. Sony has done a mixed approach with 2 current adapters, LA-EA 4 that can AF any lens on any camera and LA-EA 5 that can AF lenses with internal motors on any camera and screw driven lenses on only the very latest cameras.

Been shooting full mirrorless since May when I picked up a Sony A7RIV and a kit of 3 lenses and the advance in AF from my old gear is night and day, not that my "old" Sony A99ii (kind of a hybrid as it uses an electronic viewfinder but has a fixed semi translucent mirror inside) was a slouch but the advancement in things like Eye AF and tracking is like black magic! Plus it's rather nice to see nearly exactly what the shot will look like through the viewfinder even before you take the shot, no more need for chimping afterwards!
    The one thing it does seem to have a problem with though is if the subject is far enough out of focus using long focal lengths that it's nearly 100% a blur. Think a small subject up close with the lens focused close to infinity, almost always the camera will ignore that fuzzy thing right under the focus spot and instead lock onto something in the background. I do mainly birding so it's kind of annoying and has lost me a fair few up close shots over the last 6 months.

Feedback Score
    Who knew gun guys were so into photography…
    I haven’t touched my photography equipment since Canon supported a political group fueling the riots of 2020. Time has softened me, and I’ve been thinking lately about breaking out the camera. I’ve been paid for portrait work, but for me photography is a hobby. I prefer close-up (macro) and landscape photography. I don’t see myself investing in the new technology unless my current system cr@ps the bed. I’m old-school anyway, in fact years ago I was unsatisfied with the corner sharpness (at 100%) of my L zoom lens and sold my zooms for a few L prime lenses. I’m still interested in learning about the new technology/equipment, you know…
    just in case.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Colt Carson View Post
    Who knew gun guys were so into photography…
    I haven’t touched my photography equipment since Canon supported a political group fueling the riots of 2020. Time has softened me, and I’ve been thinking lately about breaking out the camera. I’ve been paid for portrait work, but for me photography is a hobby. I prefer close-up (macro) and landscape photography. I don’t see myself investing in the new technology unless my current system cr@ps the bed. I’m old-school anyway, in fact years ago I was unsatisfied with the corner sharpness (at 100%) of my L zoom lens and sold my zooms for a few L prime lenses. I’m still interested in learning about the new technology/equipment, you know…
    just in case.

Technology isn't just progress, it is money, and lots of it. Additionally, technology advances so quickly in the photo world, that bodies retain very little value after a few years. Try selling off a camera that is 5 or 10 years old... it is almost painful.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Yes, I haven’t used my first digital camera (EOS 5D) in many years, but keep it for sentimental reasons as it’s worth very little.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Technology isn't just progress, it is money, and lots of it. Additionally, technology advances so quickly in the photo world, that bodies retain very little value after a few years. Try selling off a camera that is 5 or 10 years old... it is almost painful.
    I have a Nikon F100 with very little use on it, one of the best bodies they ever made, can't give it away. For anyone still shooting 35mm film, an outstanding camera.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    When I shot on film, I had a nice place to have it developed. If I shot on film today, I guess it would be Walmart or through the mail. The funny thing is that for the artistic minded folks, things go out and in of style.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12