Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: To NFA, or not to NFA?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dan1612 View Post
    EFile a lower. Takes less than a month. Swap it for a pistol lower if you need to travel.
    I have a 308 can, a 556 can and a 9mm can. And another one from the agency for work.
    Personally not into 22’s. But that’s just me.
    If I were buying today, it would be the 36M, but the new 46M looks very interesting.
    Great option. BTW, what is a 36M / 46M?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

To NFA, or not to NFA?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike-4 View Post
    Great option. BTW, what is a 36M / 46M?
    They’re SilencerCo’s multi caliber suppressors. Either would do everything all of my cans do, in one package.
    Last edited by dan1612; 11-08-21 at 11:40.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    I appreciate the comments gentlemen. Think I'm gonna pick up a couple Turbo K cans and an OSS HX 762 Ti. Maybe a 22 can after a bit.
    Well done, K cans are cool and the OSS is very nice. Especially on a gasser.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Totally worth it.

I went all out trying it get everything I'd want in one shot. In total for 10 items it was 18 months from first purchase to pick up of last item. Stamps took 5-12 months.

I get the 'list' thing. But you're on a list, I promise. But more so to me, the NFA stuff allows them to check your NFA stuff, and in the future take it. So store all your NFA stuff together. Don't keep anything with it you're not willing to hand over when they come take your NFA stuff.

Also on the flip side of this, will NFA items be easier to keep in the future because they are 'registered' and they will go after normal semi rifles instead.

So heres my regret. It was pandora's box. even with 3 factory SBR and 7 silencers I want more. I doubt I will, but I want.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I appreciate the comments gentlemen. Think I'm gonna pick up a couple Turbo K cans and an OSS HX 762 Ti. Maybe a 22 can after a bit.
    So, after spending some time on pewscience, and a lot of going back and forth, I decided on a couple OSS cans. The 556 and 762 Ti models. At the ear numbers are much more important to me than at the muzzle and I don't like gassy cans, as all my rifles are semi.

The CGS cans had my attention for a while, but their "at the ear" are worse than the OSS offerings, and they are way gassy. With their optional forward venting end caps they just become loud everywhere. Lots of hype, but not optimized for semi-autos at all. Would give them a hard look if I were looking for a can for a bolt gun.

The Thermal Defense Solutions direct thread cans also had my attention for a long while, but there's no real data on them, besides anecdotal. And the company failed to respond to multiple attempts to contact them. Would still consider one of their cans if the company could get their crap together.

Was going to order a pair of the Turbo K cans, as I was happy with their weight, sound at the ear, relatively low gas impulse, and price. However, SilencerShop sold out, and I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger, rather than wait.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well, the YHM Turbo K came back in stock at Silencer Shop... In an attempt to somewhat ease my angst regarding missing the boat on the new e-file Form 4s with the OSS cans I bought last month, I went ahead and ordered one this morning. If estimates are accurate, I hope to be able to take it home somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 months before my paper Form 4s are approved... This was all "for science," of course...

Will keep you updated.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You can always do a form 1. Quite a few good turnkey kits out there, and it only takes three weeks. It can also save some money and weight.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    You can always do a form 1. Quite a few good turnkey kits out there, and it only takes three weeks. It can also save some money and weight.
    Have been thinking about that for a while. Will need a drill press. I was admiring the can you built, and would like to do the same for a centerfire, plus something similar for a rimfire.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Have been thinking about that for a while. Will need a drill press. I was admiring the can you built, and would like to do the same for a centerfire, plus something similar for a rimfire.
    I actually destroyed that one. I think I got it too hot and then when my Mk18 decided to fire a five round burst I think that's what pushed it over the edge. I'm working on a new design that's going to be lighter and hopefully stronger, though will require more proprietary parts, meaning I will have to get a custom endcap and adapter. Luckily the tube is okay, so I can just have it recored with the new design. But yea, I guess moral of the story is don't build an ultralight can and run it hard on an SBR and then have said SBR decide to go 900 rpm all the sudden. That's pretty much the worst case scenario for any suppressor. There are only a handful meant to take that kind of abuse and they're all pretty heavy duty.

On the drill press, I don't use it. I actually had a milling machine back then, but I just model up some jigs and print them, then drop a bushing from Mcmaster in it. Drill with a hand drill to 6mm, and that's technically big enough to legally manufacture the can (if it's specified caliber is 22), but it still leaves plenty of meat for the SOT to clean up in the "recor" to open up to final size (somewhere around 7-8mm, depending on the design and how brave you are).

22 cans are so stupid easy I don't know why anyone waits years to get one. Like the super nice integral stuff, yea, that's hard to make obviously, but just a simple thread on 22 can is like shooting fish in a barrel. You really can't go wrong. Even the ten dollar solvent traps on wish are good to go. Buy a quality one and so much the better. I've been meaning to make one with a carbon fiber tube and 3d baffles. Heat isn't a problem with them. My SOT and I have tested 22 silencers that were printed out of PLA that did great.

Oh and wipes! Highly underrated for rimfire cans, and basically zero wiped options from the factory. You'll see the token endcap wipe very occasionally, but never a full stack.
    Last edited by okie; 12-31-21 at 21:17.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123