Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wolf gold discontinued?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by A556Nato View Post
    I have bought some and tried it. It does work but it’s not as accurate as the standard wolf gold. It’s like federal xm193 in the accuracy department (2-3moa) Wolf gold has always been 1moa for me.
    Hold on there. You're saying because it's not as accurate in you gun it's not the same? That's not the way to determine such an assertion. Does it have the same headstamp? Is the bullet the same. Did you pull a bullet and measure the powder charge? There are probably other things to do, to prove it's not the same ammo...like call Wolf and ask them. Taiwan isn't a very big place, how many ammunition plants that can produce billions of rounds do you think they have?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    Hold on there. You're saying because it's not as accurate in you gun it's not the same? That's not the way to determine such an assertion. Does it have the same headstamp? Is the bullet the same. Did you pull a bullet and measure the powder charge? There are probably other things to do, to prove it's not the same ammo...like call Wolf and ask them. Taiwan isn't a very big place, how many ammunition plants that can produce billions of rounds do you think they have?
    Yes different headstamps. Wolf gold 223 says “wolf 223 rem” and wolf 556 says “wolf 556”. Also bullet shape is slightly different. The wolf gold 223 is slightly more rounded and has a flatter tip. Wolf 556 has a little sharper tip point and slimmer body. Kinda like the difference between m193 and m855 but not that big of an extreme. It’s noticeable. I just took a picture but it won’t let me post it here.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Yes different headstamps. Wolf gold 223 says “wolf 223 rem” and wolf 556 says “wolf 556”. Also bullet shape is slightly different. The wolf gold 223 is slightly more rounded and has a flatter tip. Wolf 556 has a little sharper tip point and slimmer body. Kinda like the difference between m193 and m855 but not that big of an extreme. It’s noticeable. I just took a picture but it won’t let me post it here.
    OK, good. The answer to the question then is more than likely the old Wolf Gold is gone from the market, at least for a while. Like you, I used a lot of the old stuff, pretty much all I shot for the last couple of years. I'll miss it when I finally run out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    OK, good. The answer to the question then is more than likely the old Wolf Gold is gone from the market, at least for a while. Like you, I used a lot of the old stuff, pretty much all I shot for the last couple of years. I'll miss it when I finally run out.
    I haven’t pulled any bullets yet. But it does smell different and sound slightly different between the two. I also shoot almost 100% suppressed. I get different zeros between the two. About two inch difference from point of impact. But the wolf gold 223 always groups better even though they are both 55gr.

I’m on my last case and it makes me sad. Some places say discontinued so that’s why I’m asking.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I haven’t pulled any bullets yet. But it does smell different and sound slightly different between the two. I also shoot almost 100% suppressed. I get different zeros between the two. About two inch difference from point of impact. But the wolf gold 223 always groups better even though they are both 55gr.

I’m on my last case and it makes me sad. Some places say discontinued so that’s why I’m asking.
    Yeah, I haven't seen anyone advertising the old packaging in quite a while. Places like SG Ammo, TargetSport USA, etc.

Feedback Score
    Ya SG is always my go to. I bought two cases of that 556 wolf from them a few months ago to try

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Nope not the same stuff. I have tried the white box stuff and it’s not the same.
    Pardon me. As you see the white box stuff is often marketed as "Wolf Gold." There was 6.5 Grendel Wolf Gold that is now discontinued also. It was loaded by Prvi Partizan. Perhaps the .223 was as well? Have you tried theirs?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    That blows, but something is bound to take its place.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    Has the importer posted a public notice or provided a press release stating that it has been discontinued, or are you just not seeing it because of the issues with shipping from overseas and the 111 container ships stacked up off the coast of California? There is a huge difference between availability and discontinuance.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by drtywk View Post
    Has the importer posted a public notice or provided a press release stating that it has been discontinued, or are you just not seeing it because of the issues with shipping from overseas and the 111 container ships stacked up off the coast of California? There is a huge difference between availability and discontinuance.
    Its still on their website along with the M193 they've been selling lately. Sometimes they mark the M193 stuff "Wolf Gold" on a white box. I haven't seen the original stuff in quite a while.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast