Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meprolight M-21 experiences ???

Feedback Score

Question Meprolight M-21 experiences ???

What do you think of the Meprolight M-21 ???

Feedback Score
    I had one. I think I pitched it. If someone tried to give another one to me, I'd slap the crap out of them.
    They had no right to win. Yet they did, and in doing so they changed the course of a war...even against the greatest of odds, there is something in the human spirit - a magic blend of skill, faith and valor - that can lift men from certain defeat to incredible victory.

Feedback Score
    Of late I'm hearing a lot of promotion of the Meprolight sights as a "battery-free" alternative to Aimpoints, etc., and that the current batch was developed jointly with the IDF.

I'm wondering: has the product improved in five years or is it all a bunch of hype?

At half the price of an ACOG I'd sure be interested in one if it's a good sight now.

Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Other than a couple fanboys here, the lack of threads supporting meprolight is a clue.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have one now on my SCAR 16S. Good optic, and I love the that it doesn't need batteries. The window is large, and clear, and the reticule is easy to use. It also mounts easy, and seems to stay on, and hold it's zero very well. Unfortunately, the Bullseye reticule is far from "ideal". I got one, thinking it would be the closest to the EOTech's reticule that I like so much, only to realize recently that the center dot is 4.5 MOA. Great for CQB, but not so great for any precision work, or with a magnifier. For a Tavor or SBR that was going to be a dedicated "bump in the night gun", it would be perfect. For a general purpose carbine... not so much. Unsurprisingly, I'm looking to sell or trade mine for a EOTech or a 2MOA Aimpoint H1.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Singlestack Wonder View Post
    Other than a couple fanboys here, the lack of threads supporting meprolight is a clue.
    Still waiting for you to explain this statement of yours from the New Meprolight RDS thread: "Meprolight is still in business??? Amazing after all of their product fails." What product fails? Some hard data would be of more value than thinly-veiled insinuations.

OP: I've used the M21 w/a couple of different reticles the past few years. I found them more resistant (but not immune) to reticle washout under certain lighting conditions than the Trijicons (excepting the DI RMR which is almost immune to reticle washout).
    The M21 comes w/a decent QD mount, is current IDF issue so you know it's rugged, reticles don't bloom in bright sunlight (like Trijicon reticles), is very KISS w/no batteries, switches, adjustments or electronics to worry about.
    However, the lens does have a heavy green tint for reticle contrast, the integral mount forces you to an appx 1/3 cowitness, the 1moa W/E adjustments are a bit coarse for some and the reticle can wash out in certain lighting conditions (like aiming from a dark room out a window into bright sunlight).
    I really liked the triangle reticle, it combined both speed and precision when using the tip of the triangle for aimed shots. I also tried the bullseye reticle (current IDF issue) and found it very fast but lacking for aimed shots.
    IMHO the M21 is the best of the tritium/fiber optic offerings.
    Tomac
    Last edited by Tomac; 07-21-14 at 18:44.
    "His Universe, His rules." - Tomac

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    My "fail" comment is in regards to the product failing to find a serious group of users in the overall marketplace compared to top tier products such as Aimpoint. The proof is in the number of users, both civilian and military. Reticles that wash out in low light to bright light shooting areas was what killed the Trijicon reflex sales. While having the same issue the meprolights also exceedingly bloom when the light supply is bright (i.e. Afternoon sun) making them unusable. I've seen at least two students take them off and throw them to the ground at several Vickers classes. Other than yourself, there are not many meprolight fanboys or serious users who choose meprolight out there (at least on serious user forums. Probably a few on arf.com).
    Last edited by Singlestack Wonder; 07-21-14 at 19:26.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    My "fail" comment is in regards to the product failing to find a serious group of users in the overall marketplace compared to top tier products such as Aimpoint. The proof is in the number of users, both civilian and military. Reticles that wash out in low light to bright light shooting areas was what killed the Trijicon reflex sales. While having the same issue the meprolights also exceedingly bloom when the light supply is bright (i.e. Afternoon sun) making them unusable. I've seen at least two students take them off and throw them to the ground at several Vickers classes. Other than yourself, there are not many meprolight fanboys or serious users who choose meprolight out there (at least on serious user forums. Probably a few on arf.com).
    Me a fanboy? That's rich. Please show me any post in any thread where I recommend the M21 over Aimpoints or Eotechs.
    I use whatever gear best meets my particular needs, regardless of mfgr or "tier" status. I've owned and used Aimpoints (M2, M3, M4, M4S, Micros H1/T1), Eotechs (512, 552, XPS-2, EXPS-2), Trijicons (RX30, RX34, DI RMR) plus several magnified/unmagnified optics.
    All optics have their strengths and weaknesses, the trick is finding which optic best suits a given set of requirements.
    For the record, I have personal experience w/6 different M21's w/2 different reticles and *none* of them exhibited blooming or distorted reticles in bright sunlight, much less "making them unusable" so I have to question the validity of your statement.
    Also for the record, I no longer own any M21's so let's drop the juvenile quips and get back to the standards this site is renowned for.
    Tomac

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    "I no longer own any m21's".

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    "I no longer own any m21's".
    I also don't currently own any Aimpoints, so your point is?...
    Tomac

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast