Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can y'all teach me about suppressors?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Can y'all teach me about suppressors?

Ive saved a bit of money and instead of another firearm at this point Ive decided to buy a suppressor. However, the more I read the more confused I feel. Im hoping that a suppressor will allow me to shoot simetimes on our new property without stirring up the neighbors, there are only two of them and theyre not right on top of us. Its a very rural setting, nothing but cornfields as far as the eye can see but still I dont want to get on anyones bad side and be friendly.

Honestly folks I feel I really only need a 5.56 specific can, I want max sound suppression but if Im wrong in my belief that using a multi caliber can will not provide the best noise reduction of a smaller (5.56) caliber I wouldnt be surprised. I have one rifle thats not a 5.56, a 6.8spc and thats it. Handguns? Well thats a different story. Id also like max flash suppression from a can as well.

Ive looked at surefire because I have two rifles with the Warcomp already installed. So yeah, I looked at their cans, the rc2 I believe it was.

Ive also looked at the Saker cans, DeadAir Sandman L and a few others. Alot of them seem to be multi caliber. Ive perused SilencerCo and all of the popular haunts but just dont know what to choose.

I wish I could still get an AEM5 for the mk12 because that would make my decision very simple so if anyone knows where one is speak up. I guess I shouldnt have waited so long to make up my mind on getting a can.

So mostly I jist sit at the bench and shoot little tiny groups on paper or ring steel so size isnt a super important consideration for this buy. Im sure though like all other things firearms related once I get one Ill end up getting more.

Budget wise I have about 1k+ to put into a suppressor. Less would be fine or I could go a little higher if needed but hoping to stay around there. $200 extorsion fee is not included in that figure.

Im sure I left out alot of info you would need to help me make an informed decision but that is due to my ignorance about suppressors.
    Last edited by BillB; 11-11-21 at 11:33.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I'd highly recommend you check out pew science. He's doing high quality, quantitative analysis of silencers, and already has a bank of good data you can check out. He also has some good info on using the warcomp with a silencer.

There are lots of variables to consider, length and weight, sound suppression, backpressure, flash reduction, mounting system, durability, etc. You will give up some to get others.

I used to be all on board the "belt fed rated" super durable cans. I have a sandman s and k, and I have a saker 556. They are very durable. They are also very heavy, and fairly loud compared to others. I personally don't have any full auto guns, likely I never will. I have shifted my priorities to lighter weight at the expense of some durability, and one of my favorites to use is the omega 9k on a 300 blackout. It's very short and light, and still provides decent suppression.

Also, don't trust marketing. Actually use a silencer before buying if possible. Maybe there are people in your area you could ask who already own models you are interested in.

Tl;dr: check out pew science, he also has a podcast that I find fairly interesting.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As mentioned try to shoot some friends suppressors. A .308 can will do a pretty good job with a 5.56 and 6.8. Some cans allow you to use different endcaps to account for caliber changes...just have to be sure you have the correct endcap on. Longer cans tend to do a better job in sound suppression. For what you have a .308 can would cover both and work with other rounds too. If you ever go 300BO, .308 or similar you would be covered. They work great on bolt guns too.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    1) You will be disappointed putting a can on a 5.56 rifle.

2) In general terms the 308 cans sound a little better to the ear but meter a bit worse than a 5.56 can.

3) There won’t be much difference at a distance, the bullet is making most of the sound your neighbors will hear.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Thank y'all. I do try to shoot anyones suppressor who will let me try it when they see me grinning from ear to ear. I guess I should actually start asking questions instead of just shooting it and handing it back.

I generally don't trust advertining or anyone trying to sale anything. There is always some truth in what they say but weeding through it with any knowledge is not my strong suit when reading about suppressors. Also why I posed my question here as Ive always got pretty good advice from you guys even if I didnt follow it.

Yep Nate, I did read his comparison and did learn some new stuff but it still left questions, need to read more I guess.

I did have an opportunity to shoot a suppressed mk12 mod1 with the AEM5 can and the owner said he was always impressed with how well that system worked and to his more atuned ear said that nothing sounded as good as that can on that gun and he is a pretty well known AR/M16 afficinato with a very large and technical Youtube channel who if I said his name Id bet my paycheck you would know him. Me? I knew no different.

Ill keep reading and watching and asking and Im sure Ill come to a good decision at some point. I mean I have alot of money to spend on one so SURELY it will be the best wont it? (JOKE!!!)

Please keep it coming.
    Last edited by BillB; 11-11-21 at 14:42.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post

2) In general terms the 308 cans sound a little better to the ear but meter a bit worse than a 5.56 can.

3) There won’t be much difference at a distance, the bullet is making most of the sound your neighbors will hear.
    Adding to the above.
    - 5.56 is a fast round. Difficult to make quiet.
    - I have two Surefire cans, both 5.56 specific. The RC2 and the Mini. Surefire cans are not the quietest nor were they designed to be. They were designed to limit gas blowback, greatly minimize flash reduction, minimal POI, POA change, and have a fast on/off collar system. IMO they succeeded with that mission. But again, they are not the quietest, nor would I call them quiet. Having said all that I have plans to add a third Surefire suppressor which will be in the 30cal/308 size, most likely the 7.62Mini.
    - Some folks consider a con having to buy fancy, expensive Surefire muzzle devices to use the cans but it sounds like you that end covered already. Surefire makes nice muzzle devices so that was never an issue for me.
    - We are in a golden age of suppressors right now with a lot of quality manufacturers. Saker, Dead Air just to name a few.
    - Decide if you want quick detach or direct thread.
    - I know this part isn’t what you’re asking but if I was in you’re position looking to try and be a good neighbor and shoot quietly I would get a suppressed .22lr or 300 blackout where you can choose subsonic ammunition and really be quiet. Anything else is going to be relatively loud.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    If you want a modern reproduction of the AEM5 then grab this:

https://ottercreeklabs.com/product/ocm5/

Quieter, lighter, and made with modern manufacturing processes and materials.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Nothing to add...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The flip side is, almost any suppressor is better than none.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It the supersonic crack that won't go away, but I've used my 308 can indoors on 5.56 and 308 and it's significantly more pleasant. Outdoors is much better.

FWIW I did a 308 can for all rifle calibers I own (308, 7.62X39, 556, 300 Blk), a .45 can for 45 and below handgun, along with a .22 can for all rimfire guns. It seems like a sound strategy when someone posted it here years ago and I'm happy with how it turned out. SO many choices now versus what I purchased, so +1 on the review site.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast