Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can y'all teach me about suppressors?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    The flip side is, almost any suppressor is better than none.
    Preach.

Feedback Score
    The short answer is the Surefire RC 2. I have one and I also have a sandman s for my 300. Since you already have the warcomps, you will save on having to change out muzzle devices. I cant tell much difference in the two in the db rating but if you want to shoot a lot suppressed, don't worry about the noise reduction. worry about back pressure. The surefire and the dead airs are pretty good in those areas. Although most rifle rounds are to fast to be quiet, I guarantee that once you shoot suppressed, you will be miserable not suppressed. It is considerably quieter and should do a good job for the neighbors. I would tell you to get the sandman and just get the 556 endcaps to be multi cal but you already are invested in surefire ecosystem so to speak. I would get on it though if I were you, I got my first 2 in about 6.5 months but this last one took me almost 10 months. I can only see the times getting longer so I would get in the queue asap.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    1) You will be disappointed putting a can on a 5.56 rifle.

2) In general terms the 308 cans sound a little better to the ear but meter a bit worse than a 5.56 can.

3) There won’t be much difference at a distance, the bullet is making most of the sound your neighbors will hear.
    If the neighbors aren’t down range, are they really going to hear the bullet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    In my opinion (and that's all it is), modular multi caliber cans are not the way to go. In my experience they are too large and screw up the balance of 5.56 carbines (mine anyway) and can be a PIA to disassemble and reconfigure. Others, I'm sure have different experiences.

The Surefire RC2 checks your boxes save for maximum suppression. Respectfully, this is faulty thinking as 5.56 rounds are going to be loud no matter what. Attachment method, POI/POA shift suppressed vs unsurpressed, blowback and flash are more important considerations and this is where the RC2 shines. As well as in overall durability. I have a SiCo Saker-k which compares very well to my RC2 but if you go with that company I'd recommend upgrading to the Key-Mo mounting system which is more expensive and may put you over budget.

Thunderbeast has a new can out, the Dominus, that I've had my eye on. It's marketed as a hard-use 5.56 can but is actually .30 caliber so you use it on your 6.8. Short and lightweight, too. I'm waiting see testing done on its back pressure, tho.

Also, Pew Science is something you should be following if interested in suppression.
    Last edited by gunnerblue; 11-11-21 at 19:15.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    The flip side is, almost any suppressor is better than none.
    My post was not intended as being against him getting one. Just to temper expectations and also not focus on just the decibel numbers.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My post was not intended as being against him getting one. Just to temper expectations and also not focus on just the decibel numbers.
    I didn't take it that way, nor did I intend to imply such, because I agree with all your points including the above.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 11-12-21 at 00:50.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    In my opinion (and that's all it is), modular multi caliber cans are not the way to go. In my experience they are too large and screw up the balance of 5.56 carbines (mine anyway) and can be a PIA to disassemble and reconfigure. Others, I'm sure have different experiences.

The Surefire RC2 checks your boxes save for maximum suppression. Respectfully, this is faulty thinking as 5.56 rounds are going to be loud no matter what. Attachment method, POI/POA shift suppressed vs unsurpressed, blowback and flash are more important considerations and this is where the RC2 shines. As well as in overall durability. I have a SiCo Saker-k which compares very well to my RC2 but if you go with that company I'd recommend upgrading to the Key-Mo mounting system which is more expensive and may put you over budget.

Thunderbeast has a new can out, the Dominus, that I've had my eye on. It's marketed as a hard-use 5.56 can but is actually .30 caliber so you use it on your 6.8. Short and lightweight, too. I'm waiting see testing done on its back pressure, tho.

Also, Pew Science is something you should be following if interested in suppression.
    In some cases you are correct. Not in the case of the sandman s though. It is only maybe a half inch longer and .7 oz heavier. I do agree that the socom rc2 is the route he should go though. If he was starting from scratch I would probably recommend the sandman s though as muzzle devices are 80 vs surefires 150 for theirs. I do think though that once you get a rifle can you will get more so going dedicated caliber cans is the way to go. my second can I bought was a modular 9mm can that I would also shoot 300 black from but I still in quick order ordered a dedicated 30 cal can because I feel that multi cal cans do everything ok instead of rocking at one thing. The sandman s is great at .30 cal suppression and pretty good at 556. the socom rc2 I still to this day think is great at 556 suppression. if you have no desire to get other calibers just go for the surefire.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Totally agree. I don't care for suppressors on gas guns. Cans are cans in my experience. None are magically better than the rest. Get one that suits your mount needs/wants... and maybe from a manufacturer with longevity incase you need a repair down the road.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    If you use a Surefire can with a Warcomp you will be very disappointed. It will work but the seal is very poor. Surefire does not recommend it from a performance standpoint.

Feedback Score
    I own several 5.56 cans. The first question i always ask someone interested in buy a can is: what is your goal? My Thunder Beast Ultra is very repeatable on my Tikka & Compass Lake upper. My Gemtech G5 isn’t.

SureFire makes good cans & they have a rep for repeatability, but research, as recommended, is in order.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast