Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No thank you, General Motors (anti-pursuit remote control)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Don't you have to activate your OnStart service when you buy a new GM vehicle? If so, just do not. If it comes activated, then F GM.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Don't you have to activate your OnStart service when you buy a new GM vehicle? If so, just do not. If it comes activated, then F GM.
    I'd be willing to bet they can use it anyway...

They say that GM vehicles now come with one year of Onstar service included. Might not have much option on that...

Feedback Score
    I wonder though if there is a way to get a new GM without onstar. I'm sure that I have seen a forest service truck without the little onstar antenna on it. Of course they might not have them since it's a gov't vehicle.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Onstar can be activated without any owner involvement.

Others have published information online on various interesting aspects of Onstar operation and capabilties, as well as the methods to counteract them.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by buzz_knox View Post
    It's worse than that. The OnStar system can be used as a microphone. There was at least one search that has gone public using the system that way. That one involved a warrant, but others may not, especially when someone hacks the system.
    oh man! creepy.

a cell phone, GPS, and a 9mm is all i need on a road trip. and i can deactivate any of em if i need to.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skyugo View Post
    oh man! creepy.

a cell phone, GPS, and a 9mm is all i need on a road trip. and i can deactivate any of em if i need to.
    Lets see...I've got a GPS, maps, cell phone, amateur radio rig, and a gun or two. And spare keys, one in my wallet, the other in a magnetic box stuck way up under the truck in a hidden place.

Why would I need OnStar, especially paying $15 a month? I provided all of the features I would need from it with my own gear (and for cheaper), and my stuff doesn't invite big brother in (with the exception of the cell phone...but cell phones can be lost, or batteries removed).
    Last edited by Avenger29; 12-13-08 at 22:41.

Feedback Score
    Isn't On Star cell based? Just find and disconnect the antenna.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Technology may halt police pursuits

Sorry, I am not about to let some minimum-wage earning telephone operator have the ability to shut my car down because she either believes it's involved in a police pursuit or, worse, mistakenly hits a button on her console while trying to help someone else.

Keep Big Brother out of my engine compartment, please.
    If some cars with OnStar can now be disabled remotely, I am thinking big brother is the least of your worries. just wait until the criminal geek element cracks this.

But I understand your concern non the less.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mmike87 View Post
    +1

I can only vouch for the trucks/SUVs, there are usually three antennas. The first is the tall one for AM/FM radio on the front passenger side fender. The second is the small blocky looking XM Radio receiver above the windshield on the passenger side. The last is the small plastic OnStar cell antenna above the windshield on the driver side. This info is based off of my '04 2500HD, YMMV.

I'm pretty sure XM and OnStar are still optional equipment. Some of the basic models might not come with either. It is true that vehicles that come with OnStar get one year of service free. You get 3 months of XM free.

If you are really that worried about it just disconnect the antenna. Then you can take your tinfoil hat off while driving.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mmike87 View Post
    You are correct, but I think I agree with Todd that it is better to just punish GM for this by not buying anything they sell.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12