Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Recomend me a rifle/caliber for Elk and Deer

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RUTGERS95 View Post
    30-06 due to game size, bullet selection and loading options. 30-06 is almost perfect for any larger game in NA
    Absolutely agree. I haven't read this thread completely, but let me add that I have taken game all around the world. From varmints to eland and dangerous game. The selection of AVAILABLE choices is overwheming. Another item to consider is that the ammo can be found anywhere. Hence if you travel and your ammo is lost, you will be able to find a box of 30-06 in Alaska, Zimbabwe or Montana. Place your round where it needs to go and use the correct bullet for the game you seek.

Cheers, Steve

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The only way our OP can make a 30-06 work in a field able weight rifle for a small statured hunter is to reload. My nephew was able to take a nice mule deer with a 120gr Nosler with his dad's own recipe. Anything heavier than that produced enough recoil to negate range time/practice/confidence. The OP must decide with the shooter how much recoil is tolerable. Rumor has it, Mr. Keith, a thin gutsy cowboy thrived under heavy recoil. It is all personal how much discomfort is acceptable. I still believe the OP' s answer lies in the 6.5 or 7mm class.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ssc View Post
    Absolutely agree. I haven't read this thread completely, but let me add that I have taken game all around the world. From varmints to eland and dangerous game. The selection of AVAILABLE choices is overwheming. Another item to consider is that the ammo can be found anywhere. Hence if you travel and your ammo is lost, you will be able to find a box of 30-06 in Alaska, Zimbabwe or Montana. Place your round where it needs to go and use the correct bullet for the game you seek.

Cheers, Steve
    agree!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    OP positioning before the next person piles on with 300 win mag or 7 win mag:

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche View Post

This would be for my wife.. ~ 5' 3 inch (if that matters), and recoil sensitive.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    OP positioning before the next person piles on with 300 win mag or 7 win mag:
    So 375 H&H is probably out then?

308, 7x57, 6.5 creed or swede, .257 Roberts... are all capable and not overly punishing. Good accurate hits are worth more than a pile of powder.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    If the shot will be outside of 100 yards. 338 Lapua is the best choice if you don't want a 416 Shy Tack!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    .300 Win with a nice brake shoots like a .243 Winchester.

6.5 PRC would be a minimum for me. I’d also suggest .280 AI. It’s a pussycat to shoot, but it provides ballistics close to a 7mm Rem Mag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Remington model 7
    7mm08

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you’re still wondering I’d go 300 WM in a Christensen. Depending on your budget the Mesa is a great value and the muzzle brake softens the belted magnum to below a non braked 30-06. The traverse brake works even better than than the mesa radial brake and the carbon barrels make a really light package. I own the mesa in 300WM. Bass pro had a Black Friday sale.

300WM Pros: ammo availability and variety, wide range of bullet weights gives a wide range of hunting applications.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345