Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Recomend me a rifle/caliber for Elk and Deer

Feedback Score
    Wow lots of great responses

Lots to consider

Thanks !!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I guess I left the rifle aspect out of my response. My default answer used to be a Remington 700 (CDL or Mountain), but not at the moment. A Tikka T3x Forest / Laminated Stainless or Bergara B-14 Hunter would be at the top of my research list.

Do you handload? If you do, then all practice doesn't need to utilize full power loads, and also doesn't need to last for 50 rounds. 3/4 power loads, with bullets at the lighter end of the spectrum work great. They generate enough recoil to not give a false impression, while not beating up the shooter. If you don't handload, then this is a great reason to start.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I just used my brother's 280 AI on a high desert Muley. I was impressed. Later we played with a 2x2 steel gong at 600 yards. I became even more impressed. Light recoil and impressive terminal and exterior ballistics.

My 4th grader will be using a 6.5 creedmoor on this same hunt as he is recoil sensitive. Still working up handloads...

I understand recoil sensitivity. I grew up shooting big bore. 375HH, 338 win mag, 416 Rem mag, 510 Wells. I like the big bores as they tend to shove rather than slap. 300 win mag is a slapper rather than a shover....

For your wife? Get the 6.5 or 7mm (280) bore diameter. Any cartridge that can push one of 140gr weight with decent velocity will kill deer,elk,pronghorn. She won't flinch expecting a slap of recoil and hit with confidence in the animals chest.

Edited to add that my main hunting rifle is a 3006 AI. 180grs at 2900 fps.
    Last edited by Krazykarl; 11-14-21 at 06:13.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche View Post
    Trying not to buy two guns, but will if it makes sense What caliber/rifle for Deer Elk This would be for my wife.. ~ 5' 3 inch (if that matters), and recoil sensitive. Thanks !
    Shot a lot of white tail and mulies with 5.56, no problem with a good hit. I'd not hunt elk with it, not generally legal and lots of risk of a lost critter.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What type of elk hunting?

A willingness to pass up marginal angle or longer shots opens up a lot more pleasant calibers.

I also think that modern bullet tech has moved everything up a level. If you are willing to pay for the bonded or solid copper premium ammo.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    For deer - 243, 250 Savage, 257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmore, 260 Rem. or 6.5x55, 7x57 or 7-08 are all nice, medium calibers. List is roughly least to most recoil. Yes, you can use a .223/5.56 for deer, but there are better rounds.

I would probably consider 7x57 or 7-08 as minimum for elk, although the 6.5s/260 will do the job for a careful hunter. Its probably safe to say the rifle will be used on more deer than elk.

270/280/308/30-06 are great all around rounds but the availability of light and correctly proportioned rifles has to be considered.

I agree that handloading will allow you to gradually increase recoil.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I work on the northern border, and with Canada opening back up… it meant that hunters could go up. Per our port policy, firearms need to be checked with NCIC anytime someone comes in (game declaration), as well as if they want a 4457 filled out showing ownership prior to leaving the country (my signature goes on that one, so I always confirm it isn’t stolen prior to stamping it).

Only saw a handful of people go up for elk, but a lot of moose and bear. Majority of the firearms coming back are chambered in 7mm Mag. You’ll see .300 Win Mag and .308 every so often, as well as 6.5mm Creedmoor. .30-06 comes thru, but not as common as you’d expect.

Saw .325 Win Short Mag the other day… which started a conversation with the hunter. One of the odder calibers I’ve seen, and was the first I’ve noticed it. I’ve seen a wildcat or two… but it is rare. The last I saw was somewhere around .22… and want to say the guy was using it for deer (not 100% on that).

Worst story I heard was a guy, who didn’t get anything, telling me how he was planning on taking a moose out at 600+ yards. Want to say he had a .300 Win Mag… and I sort of called him out on it. I’m all for making hunting more of a challenge, but not at the risk of just wounding an animal that likely would get away and die without a good chance of actually getting it. Sorry if that goes against anyone here, but I don’t see the sportsmanship with it.

He starts telling me how great of a shot he is on some flat range in PA, and how he doesn’t miss. So, you are going to estimate the wind differences in Newfoundland, when even northern ME can be fun due to terrain? The wife of the other hunter was off behind him… making a gesture that he was full of s***. That made me laugh as they left.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    What type of elk hunting?

A willingness to pass up marginal angle or longer shots opens up a lot more pleasant calibers.

I also think that modern bullet tech has moved everything up a level. If you are willing to pay for the bonded or solid copper premium ammo.
    This is key

200 yards or less on a cow?

600 yards across a canyon at a big bull? Different answer.
    Last edited by JiminAZ; 11-18-21 at 13:14.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’m totally unqualified to provide advice on shooting elk, but given the historic popularity of the 270, and the current popularity of 6.5 CM, I wonder why the 6.5-06 never caught on. Flat shooting, lotsa neck for long, high BC/SD bullets, or long copper 140s, reasonable but high powder capacity, nearly as much juice as 6.5 PRC, but not as much of a barrel burner as the similar magnum.

With lighter bullets, it would stomp pronghorns or whitetail at whatever range, much like the 25-06. Its basically between 25-06 and .270, but in a bore where heavy-for-caliber projectiles are common.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Deer 270 or 6.5CM or 6.5 PRC
    Elk you should probably go with a magnum for Bulls. 7mm, 300 WM, 300 Norma

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast